4x4 posi-lock---cable????

jhiggins

I want to replace the vaccum harness on my 88 yj with a posi lock cable. But my question is will this make all my vaccum lines for the four wheel drive obsilite, or wil I still have to use them to make the posi lock work or does it work on its own??? :-? :-O :-?

edited by: jhiggins, Feb 14, 2003 - 12:45 AM[addsig]

anyone out there that can help???? :-( :-? :-( [addsig]

Sorry dude I aint smart enough to say either way! give er a bit of time these guys are real good to know something about most everything. they will get around to it. tug[addsig]

I'm pretty sure the posilock does away with all the vacuum stuff. It is a cable actuated system that puts you in control of the front axle engagement/disengagement. This is cool because

a) no more vacuum worries
b) positive locking system (weld the front diff and you've got a selectable locker)
c) you now have 2 low :)

from what I have heard it is a very good system that is much much more reliable than the factory vacuum system. Seems to me to be a pretty good investment...assuming you love your D30 that much.[addsig]

Sounds good I will Wait a lil longer but I hope it does away with it all I'm trying to get ready for this weekend.... :-D [addsig]

Sounds good I will Wait a lil longer but I hope it does away with it all I'm trying to get ready for this weekend.... :-D [addsig]

The posi-lok is around $200. You can remove the 4wd vacuum lines, and plug the ports on the transfer case.

I did something similar to be able to manually operate the disconnect, since I welded my front diff into a Lincoln Locker. Installed a manual vacuum switch,about $20 and 1/2 hour later I can disconnect the pass. side axle when in 4wd. Incredible traction, and can still 3-wheel for easier tight trail turns.

I'm comfortable with keeping the vacuum system, not too hard to work on and troubleshoot.[addsig]

So you are saying the vacuum lines are no longer needed ???? If so thats greattttttttttttt.... :lol: :lol: :lol: [addsig]

No vacuum lines are needed after the posi lok conversion. The fork in you axel is simply repositioned from side to side using a cable rather than the vacuum. It has a handle that mounts in your dash and looks similar to your emergency break release. Another advantage to this is that you can engage hi and low range gears in the rear without engaging the front (similar to a Dana 300 Twin stick conversion without the cool twin sticks in the floor). [addsig]

JH,,

I installed the Posi Lok a few months ago and cannot say enough good things about it. It is stupid easy to install and offers the advantages mentioned in the previous post. Keep an eye on ebay for them. A guy has been selling them for $ 169.00 with a buy it now option. I tried to hook you up with a link to the auction but he just sold it. He will have more on in the near future. I got mine for $ 150.00 used,,this guy`s are new.

Good Luck Ed :cool: [addsig]

I appreciate it I just got one in today I will be putting it in on tuesday cross your fingers ....also what do I do with all the old vaccum lines ?? cap them cut them????don't even worry about them???? :-O :-O :-? :-O :-O [addsig]

I cut the factory vacuum lines at the T-case leaving about 1 inch on the plug. I installed vacuum line caps over the open lines and reinstalled the plug to keep the T-case sealed. I removed the rest of the lines, capping off anything left open and saved the old parts just in case. You never know when you or a fellow Jeeper needs the parts.[addsig]

Back