5 speed to automatic swap

r7955

Curious if anyone has experience with this kind of swap?
I'd like to take out the factory 5 speed on my 03 sport, and install a 4 speed auto.
Problems or issues to be expected?
Thanks

If your willing to dish out the cash for all the component involved with the swap, you shouldn't have any issues. A direct swap would be the 42RLE. You will need a PCM thats programmed for an auto trans., wiring harness, possibly a drive shaft(not sure), center console for an automatic transmission. I may have missed something else, i don't have the experience on this swap, but looking at the technical side of the process, this is so far what i can see to be the process involved.

OK I did it but I put a complete driveline package out of a 2003 or 2004 Wrangler into my 1989 Wrangler.
My '89 was a 4.2 carbureted motor with a 5 speed
The new package is a 4.0 injected motor with A/C, Pwr Steering etc. the trans is the automatic & I also got & installed the transfer case, driveshafts, & all of the engine stuff (starter, computer & all the wiring etc.). I still have a skid plate thats under the trans & t-case left over - I'm not sure if its from the '89 or from the '04 - anyway, I got the shifter stuff out of a late model Cherokee & a Radiator from a 2000 Wrangler. I still have the clutch pedal in place, I don't know why??? I bought the package from a guy that rolled over his Wrangler & was parting it out. The shifter & console along with the seats etc. were gone when I got there.
I had a zillion little things to take care of that you wouldn't have to worry about but I love it!

you could source a older AW4 and would not need the changing of the ECM from the manual to the auto.

The AW4 is a great option, but you would want to redrill the tailhousing so it clocks the transfer case up from the XJ position.

Back