$500 to spend...???

mujaman

well i have $500 to spend on basically whatever from birthday money and some other things. i almost ordered a winch about 2 weeks ago (warn M8000) to bolt right onto my ARB... but backed out and haven't been able to make up my mind since. the winch is actually gonna run me a little more than $500 (more like 6), but i have the money to make up the difference if i decide to go that route. my other option would be to order a few less expensive items that i've been wanting, such as some JKS quick discos, a decent cobra CB, and possibly a few other things. or... i could get a new front suspension fork for my mountain bike (for those of you who are familiar with mtn. biking... i want to get a nice fox float 100R or comparable to replace my very tired and worn out rock shox SID). so... help me decide!

Ever heard of Ion 171 rims?

Make check out to cash and send to Tug @ 555 john doe lane Erwin Tn 37650. hehehe tug

I finally took the plunge and bought a winch (a "Duke" winch off eBay). Have to recommend it - lota money but I basically don't care where I go anymore.....can always winch myself out if I screw up again. Hey, you can always sell it to get your CD's or whatever, right?!? I'd go for the winch - mine has given me much peace of mind, which is worth a LOT!!
Peace,
mud4feet

go for d winch warn 9.5 your love it u will understand when u max your 8ooo out u wish u had 9.5

lockers, get lockrights front and rear, you can put em in yourself and youll end up right around 500, screw the winch, lockers will pay off more times than a winch ever will

max a 8000lbs winch ? How do you do that ?

tug... i'll get that check in the mail for you tomorrow morning first thing. haha! well i actually have considered lockers, but thats one thing i just really don't know much about and haven't spent the time to really look into them, so i have absolutely no idea what i would get (except that i do know i would love to go completely selectable... such as the ARB air lockers... but its way to expensive). i definitely will get lockers sometime down the road though, but probably not for quite a few years until i can get a second vehicle... because right now my jeep has to maintain good on-road handling for all my college travels (and a locker seizing up on me at 70 mph around a turn on the interstate is not an ideal situation). when i get lockers i would probably look to regear so that i could manage some 33's without any problem. anyways, back to the winch... i'm definitely not worried about maxing out an 8,000 pound winch, especially one from warn. warn rates all their winches by dead lift capacity - meaning that an 8,000 pound winch will lift 8,000 pounds right off the ground (as opposed to pulling it along a rolling surface or whatever). cherokees are plenty light enough to be completely covered by an 8,000 pounder... unless you're up to the windshield in thick mud or something. i mean i've pulled my jeep out many many times with a 4,000 pound come along (4,000 pounds rolling power... not even dead lifting), so i know an 8,000 pound winch would do the trick. i'm also not opposed to just saving the money, and thats why i haven't just gone out and dropped it all yet. i don't know how much use i would really get out of something like a winch or swaybar discos right now, especially since i'm at school in freaking ohio 9 months out of the year. so i guess i'll keep thinking...

ABS light and smoking brakes

I vote for save or invest it.

If you just HAVE to spend it, spend it something that you know you'll use in an activity that you enjoy. Sway bar disconnects can easily eat up $100+ dollars and you may never touch them again...potentially...so just think about it. If you think you'll bike more and get more enjoyment out of the suspension do that.

If you don't HAVE to do any of the above, put it into some form of savings account and start adding to it on a regular basis...you may be pleasantly suprised what a few years and intrest (in your favor) can do. Then, at some point in the future, invest in something.

What school are you at in Ohio?

yeah i will probably end up putting it in the bank for now... but i'm sure i'll spend atleast a little bit of it sometime soon (i mean all i got for my birthday was money... so i have to enjoy it atleast some right? haha).

special K - i go to cedarville university... its a fairly small (3,000+) christian school right basically right in between dayton, columbus, and cincinatti (they sorta make a triangle and its right in the middle of it).

kevin4x4 said:
go for d winch warn 9.5 your love it u will understand when u max your 8ooo out u wish u had 9.5

Although I agree with White and Mujaman that it wouldn't likely be an issue with an XJ (or most vehicles with a warn 8000M) a snatch block will nearly double the pulling power of any recovery device. I think even a good quality 5000 lb winch would get most jobs done for a Jeep, definately if using a snatch block.

How about investing it in real estate! My mortgage is due in a couple days and I would not mind one bit if you want to invest $500!!

save it! get a 6 month CD and then in 6 months you'll have more money!

dude i thought we decided against the fox fork... that is way to much money and it's not gonna give you that smooth of a ride anyway... if you are goin to put it towards a bike, get a new one... :lol: personally i'd go for the winch, but we've had this conversation before... we gotta get together and do some ridin by the way

I'm Moving

Spend it! That's what birthday money is for. Save other money you get but I always like to have fun with my birthday cash.

What sounds like more fun? DRIVING through that nasty section of trail, or pressing a button and being dragged through it. A winch is nice to have, but it should come after the things that actually make the Jeep more trail worthy. That is unless you wheel alone in remote locations.

I say get a lock-right locker for the rear axle ($250) and a high lift jack ($50-60) with recovery straps, shackles, etc ($50). That'll leave you about $150 to sock away.

Buy $500 dollars worth of tube socks, and wear a brand new pair of socks for 3 months straight !! Oh the freedom!

sorry let me explain only my opion here. me and a body of mine was willimg in tellico he had the 8000 warn 200am snowing I slid of in a ditch like all d way down the mountain . so he hook up a strap to a tree and hook to his toe hook in the back bumber.so he would move max the cabel out 125ft it would do nothing we tried every thing 2 snatch blocks everything.... it would just budege and thats it shake d body. finilay a another jeeper came with a 9.5 warn and he pulled me out with no prob. to me alittle makes a difference.... just my opion... :lol:

Back