5sp transmission shifting probs

jetchey321

Hey....quick one. I've got a '94 wrangler, 2.5 w/5sp transmission. I haven't driven a manual transmission in awhile. Cold mornings, shifting is tough....eases up with higher temps and when the engine warms up. I assume this is normal? Just bought the Jeep and trying to get rid of the "uh-oh's" of a used vehicle. I have 117k miles, previous owner said he just installed a new clutch kit right before I bought it. Would he have changed the fluids when doing so? Thanks for the help/suggestions! -Jeff-

you dont nescesarily have to change the fluid when you change the clutch. i would check the fluid condition and make the call if it needs it. if its colder than 32 degrees outside and you know your fluid is good, i recommend you warm up your Jeep for at least 3mins. and that goes for any vehicles subjected in cold climates.

Thanks.....yeah, I always let it warm up a bit before driving. The heater itself doesn't even start warming up before that...thanks again!:mrgreen:

I would recommend changing transmission fluid to Redline MT90, its a synthetic gear oil that shifts smooth in cold weather. Not to mention you don't know what lube is in there now, and it's possible it could be the (previously) factory recommended fluid which will ruin the transmission.

thanks for your help. Went to go to work last night....no pressure in the clutch pedal. Nothing.....well, the clutch master cylinder was shot...fluid running inside the cab as well as down the firewall. The install was fairly straight forward. However, it says on '94 and newer...the slave, and master come as a complete sealed unit. I have a '94, and looking at the slave, it looked good...so I just installed the master cylinder, bled it a bit...and now i'm in business. Funny thing is, everything about a '94 4cylinder was wrong with my rig. I'm set up like the Haynes manual says the 6 cylinder should be. External slave....on the driver side of transmission. Doesn't really matter, just found it odd? Anyhow...thanks for your advice and help! :D

I also got a '94 2.5, and my slave was on the driver side. I have the Haynes manual, but dont remember it saying it was on the other side when my slave went shot. By the way, it was so easy to change the whole thing, I just replaced both master and slave at that time...

I have a 02 and it dose the same in cold weather its normal , and Its fine after it warms up a little.

Bounty is right about the transmission fluid. Replace it with synthetic, I replaced mine with the walmart brand 75w-140, and my sychro ring problem vanished.

yeah bounty told me about that redline MT90 fluid and its like shifting with butter now!!
just remember when you bleed that slave make sure the bleed screw is facing up!! and make sure there is a hole in there to bleed with, mine from autozone didnt have a hole in it, so i had to drill one. works like a champ now!

Back