79 cj7 steering

Aaron S

I'm still having steering issues? This is my first jeep, a 79 cj7. 258 3 speed. I have had it for one year now. I've done quite a bit to it and it needs a lot more. it is a toy, but still trying to get it to drive correct. I've replaced tires,31'', shocks, all suspension bushings, NO lift, and power steering gear box. Took it in for an alignment check yesterday, comes out its all ok. They tell me it drives like a jeep? So I drive by a local jeep shop and have them ride with me to get there opinion, drives like a jeep! Not quite buying it yet. the new steering box is a reman. form O'reileys changed it out once because it was so tight turning. This one is the same, tight turning wont straighten out after turning a corner. I cant believe this is correct. When I drive down the road it goes straight, but keeping the jeep straight like a normal car, steering small amounts feels like it kinda jerks/sticks from left to right, a little scary. I think it is all because of the tight steering box? any guesses? there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for boxes that aren't 400$ to 500$ plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like an alignment (specifically caster) problem to me. It should return to center after you make a turn though.

Did they give you a printout with your alignment?

Did it have a lift previously that you removed?

they didn't give a print out, nor did they charge for an alignment. Said one tire was 2 1/4 the other 2 3/4 degree ( caster) to the positive, I think. Jeep didn't have a lift. I feel like this is why it drives the way it does, if you move the wheel left or right a slight amount it continues to go that way while driving, as in it sticks?

You want between 5-8 degs positive caster. It's not uncommon for the Dana30 to have uneven caster from left to right. Your caster is fixed/pre-set by the spring perches. Most people correct this by adding shims to the spring pack. If done correctly with longer spring pack bolts, steel (not aluminum) shims and an additional steak in the rear of the shim (connecting into the top spring) is reliable. I would use a 4 deg shim. The alternative is cutting off the factory perch and welding a new one at an increased angle. But this is labor intensive and requires a certain amount of skill.

Also, have (or do it yourself) the toe set farther inward.

Do you have long shacles on your cj??? Have you checked the joints at both ends of your steering shaft for play??? bad ball joint??? Steering saft rubbing against exhaust manifold??? does sound like a caster issue the way you say, with movement of the steering wheel it takes a sec then darts when changing dircetions. "shims" may be the only easy answer.

No long shackles.( Stock). I have checked the steering shaft, feels ok. Top and bottom. The jeep does run straight but its the left, right to keep it going straight is where the problem comes about, because its tight to move, it stays going the direction you steer. even if it is a slight amount. Its just not smooth. I'm still up in the air on this steering box. And in no way ruling out the caster adjustment.

You can try adjusting the P/S gear box. There is a locknut with a set screw on top of the gearbox that you will see through the service hole just behind the front bumper. Insert a screw driver (or alen wrench depending) into the slot to hold it steedy while you use a box wrench to loosen the nut. Tight down the set screw until it is just snug, then back it off a 1/4 turn or so. Start the engine and check the tightness of the steering. You can move it in to tighten (however, this first step of "snuggy" is your starting point or close to the minimum of tightess without damaging the gear set) or out to loosen, but only make slight turns eitherway. Just remember to tighten the locknut back down! Your in essence adjusting the backlash of the gears inside.

If it drives straight and isnt wondering around on the road, then I dont think caster adjustments will help. It sounds like your steering itself is real tight (stiff)?? Do you have power steering? power steering belt loose? low on power steering fluid? Bad power steering pump.?? You have a new steering box, have checked steering shaft, tie rods, ball joints and all checked out ok. At this point I would think the only restricting parts would be the steering pump and the gears inside the new gear box and since the box is new, I wouldnt suspect the box. Those are the main parts that turn your jeep, everything else just allows it to turn. I was unter the assumption that your jeep was wondering and when you tried to compensate it didnt respond very well. I am now assuming that it drives straight but the steering is very tight and takes the jeep and min to respond, would this be more correct?? I would be hessitint to make adjustments on a brand new box.

Back