87 xj blowback valve?

superspud87

so im doing som routine maintenance on jeep (new hoses and such) and what appears to be my blowback valve is in dire need of repair. i went to autozone and they have no idea what it is. (no suprise) but heres a picture of it. im pretty sure that it is a blowback valve, but autozone pulled up a totally different looking part on there computer. (probably for the 40. HO im assuming) any one have any ideas as to what this is and where i can get a new one?

also, i was wondering if anyone knew of any performance chips for this year of the 4.0? ive seen them for the 1990 year, and i thought that the motor and everything was virtually the same between 87 and 90? because i know in 91 it went HO?

any help is appreciated

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 3,999

It's just a rubber elbow and a grommet, no valve in there I know about.

The picture (in the parts catalog) is a little ambiguous. My guess is it is number 1.

c3rfb-1.png

2jd40so-1.png

I guess anything is possible but I haven't heard of any Renix power chips. My Renix will hang right with my 96 HO, they just make torque (HP) in a slightly different RPM band.

Last edited:
The part you are talking about if i remember correctly is just a breather hole for a valve cover its a 2.2mm orifice that most places don't sell you might just have to use some ingenuity and get a grommet that will fit and adapt from there

hmmm. do you think if i went to a junkyard and got a used one in decent shape that it would work? my mind hasnt been very creative as of late:p

In my experience the grommet gets pretty crusty, fairly quickly and looses it's flexibility. Good luck getting one out in one piece. Somebody had a kit with most all of the vacume lines, but I sure can't remember who it was.

Back