88 cherokee steering prob, engine cuts off

angie

I have an 88 jeep cherokee and the steering wheel is horrably loose resulting in the jeep periodically cutting off and losing power, i shift in neutral and it starts up again. I removed the steering wheel in an attempt to tighten it but there was a metal plate under there and now i'm stuck, i don't know how to get any farther or if i'm even in the right direction and help would be great i'm pulling my hair out.:?|

I need more Details. The Metal plate that has notches all around it behind the steering wheel hub is the steering wheel lock plate. There is a special tool you could probabbly pick up from Napa auto parts or Carquest that threads on the Steering wheel retainer threads and compresses the steel plate so you can remove the lock ring on the shaft. Just remember the Orientation of the steel lock plate to the steering shaft splines. i sent you a P.M. if you need more help.

It's a Chevy steering column (mostly) and there are numerous write ups for this problem. Here are a couple, though they may not be exactly the same they are near enough.

http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html
Tilt Column Repair
tp://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jeepjunk/tilt/tilt.html
p://www.buickperformance.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm

I usually put a board up on two saw horses and lay everything out in the order of removal, makes reassembly much easier. If you pile all the pieces in a box it can get complicated quick.

The only major problem I had was getting the connector apart for some extra wire to move the turn signal switch assembly out of the way ( I broke my connector). And some trouble with reassembly, there are some parts that really don't go back together logically and can cause brain lock. :)

Not correct, but good enough, is to tighten the two bolts you can see for the tilt mechanism and forget about disassembling the tilt mechanism to get at the hidden bolts. Like I said, not the right way to do the job, but it has worked for me twice now and lasted for years.

I've done it now half a dozen times on various Jeeps and Chevys, it gets easier, the trick is to take your time and be careful, the plastic pieces get old and brittle and are easy to break and keep things organized.

in the engine compartment, there is a safety device on the steering column linkage that allows the linkage to collapse(telescope) in crash and also there is a kind of a u-joint or shock absorbing assembly as well. it may be that this is broken or loose. because you say horribly loose, and i don't think that bad bushings in the steering column would make it that loose. also check all the tie rod ends, because this is a very dangerous condition which could cause you to loose control of the vehicle. hope this helps, john

Back