88 YJ Ignition Upgrades

n0madic

So I'm about to do the first round of upgrades on my pretty much stock YJ. I'll be putting in the 38 DGES Weber carb and would also like to upgrade the ignition. I am pretty sure I'll be going with the Jacobs Off-Road pack, Jacobs wires, and Splitfire plugs, but before I do so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with MSD's products like the Digital 6, Blaster Coil, etc.

Furthermore, should i still upgrade to an HEI Distributor? Will I see a big performance boost without a new distributor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

i think bang-for-the-buck wise you'd be better off waiting on the ignition (as long as yours isn't just worn out... a spark is a spark as far as i'm concerned)... i'd look more towards getting more air in and out of that bad boy. intake, exhaust, header, cam, port & polish, etc...

Future Build Question.

Well, the new carb will take care of the intake (it comes with a K&N type filter), and I have installed a less restrictive muffler, plus I've heard nothing but good things about the Jacobs ignitions.

Besides, what's a port and polish and new cam gonna set me back?

RE: Lift and tires!!!!!!!

Have you considered a Motorcraft 2150 carb? Will run better than the Weber, especially at angles.

I've read more positive feedback from the MSD Offroad 6 than the Jacobs, no personal experience with either as they're out of my price range. Might see what www.performancedistributors.com has to offer you.

RE: Future Build Question.

Well, could get a DUI distributor/ignition for $360, anyone have any experience with these?

Oh, and how bad is the Weber about angles? I wont be exposed to too many extreme angles, maybe some dunes here and there. Mostly just trails w lots of mud.

Lady in need of help... rear window replacement know how?

DUI is the bomb. It'll light that six banger right up.

I've never had any of the Jacobs products that I can remember but I've run several MSD products in various vehicles, and without question, it's quality stuff.

RE: Re: RE: Lady in need of help... rear window replacement

I've never had any Jacob's stuff either, but I will say you really can't go wrong with MSD. Plus they're SOO popular you can usually find some pretty good deals all over the place.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Axle fluid leaking into rear brakes

Personaly I would just go with a HEI. No need for a MSD or Jacobs unless you are planning on racing your rig and need the extra little 10th of a second or so. DUI is a nice distributor but you can get a nice HEI from http://www.driveajeep.com/main/page1.html for $255 with new plug wires. That is a nice savings. Or build your own. I just bought one from these guys and wish I went this rout years ago. Blows the TFI out the water. Then take the extra cash you save and get a 1" Body lift or 1" Shackle lift.

Back