89 4.2 power improvements

jeepngeo

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
I'm pretty sure that this has been talked about before ----- However, I searched the previous 40+ pages and could not find any completely helpful answers.

1. Has anyone, who has completed the Nutter by-pass, been able to remove their pulse air system? Mine has rusted pipes and check valves, so instead of replacing it, I would like to remove it.

2. Has anyone had any success or problems with a Weber carb conversion kit?

Any insight will be helpful. This is my third YJ, the first with a 4.2 and all the unique problem associated with the Carter Carb. Improvements are what I seek.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Ive got an '89 with the 4.2. The Weber is a great carb!! 32/36 is what i have. I believe that the 32/38 is more for non street vehicles or vehicles with engine mods.

It gives the promised improved power but has some drawbacks.

My 32/36 has been on for like a year and a half. I blew one motor with it on. I think that i was running it too lean (too hot). The problem is the vacuume lines. They do not give any directions for how to re do the lines and as you know they are a rats nest under the hood. Ive got mine pretty good but lost a lot of gas mileage.

Anymore questions, just ask, ill try to help.

Anyone with a soloution to this problem, please let us know. There are many of us out there with the same prob. A lot of lines with no where to go on the Weber carb.

[addsig]

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
Awesome - someone that I can relate to - obviously you completed the by-pass already. Do you still have your pulse air system attached? My pipe leading to the cat has a hole in it as well as a separated check valve - therefore I know that part is not working and it is taking up space.

I want/need a new cat but I have to wait until I can find out about the pulse air system removal because there are two different cats (one with and one without the air hoes connection)[addsig]

A couple things...My pulse air has always been messed up... I bent the pipes going to the cat while rootin'. I dont have a cat now, its hollowed out. Im not required to pass emmisions tests so I didnt see the point in replacing my bad cat.

My pulse air system does nothing more now than leave more hoses to re-route. The vacuume solonoids on the back hand, top side of the valve cover are also not needed.

(the dohicky that bolts down and has three sets of electrical connections and hoses)

If you switch to the weber, the entire assembly is not needed, the two left solenoids control the pulse air system and the third, on the right controls the Carter idle speed adjustment solenoid (the Weber doesn't have one).

i have a phliosiphy... the fewer hoses, solenoids and wires that you have, the easier it is to maintain your vehicle. Look under the hood of any old jeep, or car for that matter (60's - 70's) there are very few vacuume lines. Mostly used for emmision and fuel economy nowadays, they break and clog if you go off-road. simple as that. My Cj is SOOO much simpler and easier to understand than my Yj. [addsig]

image-missing.png
Thanks again, that was sort of what I thought. Currently, I am running a bit lean (vacuum or air leak) so I may go through all the V lines and remove/re-route the ones for the pulse air. I also live in an emissions-free state, so I am looking forward the weber set-up. Thanks for you help. Anything that you can think of will always be helpful.[addsig]

Back