8inch or 10 inch wide rim whats the difference?

Im looking at getting rims for my 4 inch lifted Jeep cj. Heres where I need help. I am looking at putting 35X12.5 tires on some new rims, The local shop told me to go with 8 inch wide rims so as to not take up too much spacein the wheel well. I wander what the difference in appearence the 8 vs the 10 inch will be. Will there be a difference in performance? Is that too much rubber to put under a 4inch lift? Thanx for any imput.

Last edited:

The difference is two inches. J/K.
I would run the 8" because it will make your 35's stand taller since the side wall won't bulge as much.
A 10" might take up more space in the wheel well, but that is really more relative the the offset. Offset is how the center of the wheel is either front spaced or backspaced. Most people actually use the wrong terminology when talking about backspacing. If you want the rim to stick out further then you want a front spaced wheel.
I would stick as close as you can to the stock spacing. The handling characteristics will be better.
A friend of mine is running 36 TSL's on stock CJ wheels and it works fine, looks good to.

Most manufacturers and off-roaders will recommend 8" rims with 12.5" tires over the 10" rims. The wider rim will stress the sidewalls too much and be more likely to slip off the bead when aired down. As far as it being too much rubber under a 4" lift, no, I don't think so. In fact, I think it'll look pretty good with 12.5" tires. Fender clearance might still be an issue, and possibly inside clearance (spring packs, calipers, knuckles, etc.).

Back