92 engine clicking

pinaplebob

I've got a 92 xj with a 4.0 in it.
Lately it clicks when it is running. It is usually quite and then everyonce in a while it gets really loud. It sounds like it is coming from the valves. I was thinking that it might help to get the valves adjusted might make it a little better. Anyway I guess I'm looking for any sort of an idea on what it is.

Thanks a lot
pinaplebob[addsig]

hey! join the club... its VERY normal to have some valve clicking noise. looks like in the haynes manual it says you can pull it all apart and check for wear, but they're "lifters" and there's not much in the way of adjustment b/c they're hydraulic.

at least, thats how i interpret it. other thigns to check for noise are motor mounts and catalytic converter.[addsig]

Yeah i figured that out after I posted the message.
The way the clicking is, It is really quite most of the time and then all of the sudden it gets pretty loud. I've got a couple of friends with jeeps with the 4.0 and they all sound a lot quieter then mine. I was under the hood this moring and it sort of sounds like it is coming from the fuel injectors. Do fuel injectors make noise and if so when they go bad do they make a loud clicking.
Thanks a lot
pinaplebob[addsig]

Fuel injectors do "click" but not really audibly. Take a 2' socket extension or a long piece of steel rod about 3/8 diam. and put one end on the valve cover, and carefully put the other end to your ear with the part that is in the front of your ear pushed back to sort of "close" your ear. You can hear exactly what is happening in the engine and if you move that rod carefully from one point to another, you can isolate which part of the engine the clicking is coming from. You can even put the end on the injectors one at a time and list to them. Sort of like a home made stethoscope. You can find out a lot by listening.[addsig]

My 4banger clicks when it is first started from being cold. After running about 30 secs it quiets right down.[addsig]

Mine doesn't really click until it is warmed up. The Clicking goes on and off when the car is running. It also gets louder and softer while running. Sometimes it makes no noise at all. It's really weird. Everytime i try and make it happen for someone to listen it doesn't do it. I made a appointment to bring it in on thurs so i will find out what it is for sure. I really hope it is nothing.

Thanks for your help[addsig]

Ray O Vac's clicking is the valves, and once they get oil pressure and pump up, they stop clicking. If the clicking is when the temp is normal and pressue is up, I would wonder if the oil pump is cavitating? Be sure your oil levels are up to par.[addsig]

For thoes first start up clickings I recomend the K&N oil filter it will keep the oil up in the motor while setting and then you do not have to wait for the oil to get pumped up. It works like a valve to keep the oil from doing the back flow through the filter thing. Tug[addsig]

Well got it back from the dealer.
The clicking is from the pistons, and it's a a normal noise from a high milege cherokee. It is not a uncommon thing I guess. They said it might get a little softer with a tune up. And the only way to fix it is to dump a new motor in it.
(this is what the dealer said about it, they also said that there is a bulliten about it)
So i think that I am going to just leave the clicking.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

thanks for imput...

pinaplebob[addsig]

Take a 2' socket extension or a long piece of steel rod about 3/8 diam. and put one end on the valve cover, and carefully put the other end to your ear with the part that is in the front of your ear pushed back to sort of "close" your ear.

If you are doing this in the driveway and the neighbors are watching, its a good idea to mumble something about squirrels in the engine, or something to that effect.

you can also check the local toy store, for a couple bucks I bought a kids play stethascope that works great for this.[addsig]

Back