93 Cherokee that stalls....every 6-10 miles

Crawlin

Its a 93 cherokee that stalls while driving or idling. I've replaced the rotor, cap, wires. coil, and feul filter and it stills stalls. my next course is going to be the fuel pump....is that a wise choice? or is there something else I should check first?[addsig]

when she stalls, is there any chugging, or is it more like you just turned off the key?

how does she restart just after the stall?

any difference when the engine is cold or normal operating temp?[addsig]

It just dies like you turned off the ignition all the accesories and gauges read normal......when starting it back up, it cranks and cranks and nothing for 5-6 times then it'll start and run for another 6-10 miles and die again....It doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold. It's acted up in both instances.[addsig]

good news is that i had the identical problem in my 92 yj 4L. just like someone reached down and flipped the ignition switch when you weren't looking. then no reply on the restart.

and i fixed it.

bad news is that i fixed it during my rebuild (all but short block) so i can't really say what part did the trick.

good news again - i researched for days and many mechanics to find the fix.

here goes. . .

first how many miles on the motor? is it time for a crank position sensor? they're notorious for doing what you describe. just for fun, in your web browser’s address box, type in: 'jeep stalling' and read very similar experiences with the crank sensor.

the coil is another possibility.

what i think was the cause of mine was the ignition switch on the steering column. think about it - seems like it was just switched off, right? in that 93, how many times do you think your switch was cycled and compare that to how many times it can be cycled before getting bad contacts?

i also changed my fuel pump because with a hundred thousand miles, it was worth knowing i had a new one back there.

you may find it helpful to jiggle the key when she's running; it's worth the diagnostic time to just change the switch. $10 and about 30 minutes. if you have high mileage and 10 years, there's one good start.

let me know.

michael
[addsig]

I had the same symptoms in a '73 Triumph TR6. Finally, after replacing everything short of the engine, it died on the way to work, I got under the back and pulled the fuel line off the tank. Nothing. Got a coat hanger and poked it up into the tank and fuel poured out. Hooked up the line and never had any trouble again. (With the fuel, that is; after all, it was an english car).[addsig]

ah, the sound of the inlines, the whine of the transmissions, the unreliable lucas ignitions. . .

sure do miss my GT6+[addsig]

Do not change the fuel pump. I have the same problem. Except mine doesnt start at all.
I have changed my filter, fuel pump, distributor, cap, rotor, coil, starter. Still it dosent work.
if you get it figured out please let me know................or maybe we can talk becouse i am beside myself 3 days now no jeep
6786178932 cell phone ill call you if i can[addsig]

I did some listening and poking around, and to me it sounds like the fuel pump is working so......I think that I am going to go the Crank Position Sensor.....But he damn thing is 127.00.........yes thats american dollars.....if someone knows where to get one for a better price let me know.[addsig]

Before spending the money trying checking the CPS with a volt ohm meter. I forget what the values are but they are in the shop manual. Also try unplugging the conector a few times and try starting your jeep. 99% of the time the CPS fails at the connector and can be a pain to replace.[addsig]

I tested the Crankshaft position sensor and it was with specified limits.......first could it be an intermittent problem or does once it fails....... It fails? 2nd.... Is there a thermal cut off switch.....or something that will shut off the engine and prevent it from starting if the temperature gets to hot......I'm thinking that if the CPS is good and, I know that all ignition parts are good (cause I replaced them) then maybe my Temp gauge is wrong and the engine is getting too hot and something is causing it to shut off when it reaches a certain Temp.[addsig]

Have the same problem on my 91 Grand Wagoneer. Still did not apply any solution but I've read that one of the possible cause [not mentionned here] is... the Ignition Module (if equipped). I'll change mine in 2 ou 3 weeks. Will post the result...
[addsig]

yes, there is a safety turn-off switch that turns your car off when it gets too hot. it hit mine when my radiator took a crap and clogged itself...

-nate[addsig]

Back