94 Cherokee rough ride.

welshdancer

I recently bought my fifth "little" Cherokee. (Had two of the old school wide wheel "Chief" models.) One of the things that I have always felt Jeep did better than others was to provide a good ride in a very versatile vehicle.

Not this one. It isn't quite as bad as having no suspension at all, but close. It is not lifted. I suspect shocks but I also wonder if Jeep made a "heavy duty" suspension in '94 and if this one has it. Does anyone know if they did and, if so, do you know how I could tell?

Thanx, Mike

Jeep XJ's were available with an 'Up Country' suspension package in the mid to late '90s, not sure what year it was introduced. It provided a 1" lift over stock. Not sure how you can tell the two apart unless you contact Chrysler Customer Service with your VIN and they send you a build sheet.

I too suspect shocks.

Thanx Bounty Hunter. I changed out the front shocks yesterday. Huge improvement. I'll do the rears today. It had "Reflex" shocks on it. I guess they're the "real deal" if one likes the ride of a buck board and re-securing all the items that get shaken loose from the harsh ride.

Abhi, watch the upper bolts on the rears. They break real easy. Use some good penetrating oil and heat them before trying to remove them. Everything else is quite easy.

what kind/brand of shocks did you go with as replacements? I'm thinking of changing mine out too, mine rides as bad as you describe yours as riding,lol. Was thinking of the cheap Ranchos, any opinions on brand/models? thanks

My 01 has "UP country" my 97 don't; I can tell the difference in the ride ht between them.

Rough ride...... Jeep...... Problem? I don't see any problem..... I get in my Mom's Intrepid and fall asleep; I don't even like a "car" ride... that's why I have always had trucks and full sized vans. other tahn the fact that I flatly refuse to buy anything thats wrong wheel drive; and further refuse to own anything with a sideways engine.

Back