94 Cherokee Sport stalls

mareshel

We bought our '94 Cherokee Sport last summer, and after about 30 miles found that it would stall, then immediately restart. This happened at any speed, even on the highway. In most cases, it would restart after a couple seconds, sometimes we would have to restart. Had the plugs replaced and a pressure check. Ran find several hundred miles (we were on a trip). Then problem resurfaced. Had the fuel filter replaced. Then a pattern developed where it would run fine for hundreds of miles, only to have the problem come back. Lately it has been worse. Sometimes taking ten minutes or so to restart. Problem can even occur after engine has cooled for an hour.

Had the ignition coil replaced, but it has stalled (and quickly restarted) twice since.

So... is my next step the fuel pump? If not, what else could it be? I've had it in

two shops where they've run the engine trying to record a stall, but of course it ran fine.

By the way, THIS IS A GREAT SITE![addsig]

WOW! Stubbern Jeeps!!!! I had a similar problem a while ago but not quite as bad. Have a mechanic check out the Nutral emergency sensor, there was a siglent recall on those a while back and thay can cause your Jeep to stall while dring if you run over a bump and the in-ability to start while in park (it would need to be in nutral). Next time it does that try to start in in nutral and see what happens. If that does the trick i would get that looked at. If thats not it though it sounds ELECTRICAL to me. Jeeps have a lot of stupid electrical problems especially with any XJ's before '96.[addsig]

Back