95 axles

Gerks

Hi everyone another new jeep guy here, I saw a post already bout the d30in the front of a yj being ok with 35s, now the reason I'm askin is I'm in the process of building my 95 and I'm puttin a fuel injected 330hp 350 in it with nv4500/241 with an SOA already done and gonna have 35s on it. Now I swa that it was said to b good for that size tire but what about with that much Hp? Or should I go with d44 out of SJ? Thanks for suggestions oh and I'm kinda on the poor side so no expensive ideas lol

i would go d44 if you can with that much motor. the 30 might work theyre pretty tough. it just depends how your gonna drive it.

I think with 330hp you'll snap it like a twig the first time you pop the clutch hard there "alright" axles under normal engine stress but if you put high performance in there your asking for dissapointment from your axles I would go dana 44 route you can run around on the d30 but if you get into some tough wheelin or like I do occasionaly sand dunes I would be somewhat easy on it

You are going to be wearing out front unit bearings often with 35" tires on a d30, especially with the added weight of the v8. A front d44 swap will work well for heavier serviceable bearings and larger brakes.

Consider a Waggy front d44 and an Izuzu rear d44 from a mid '90s Rodeo. They're both 6-lug axles and it will give you 4whl disc brakes. I have this setup in my '95 YJ and am getting ready to install the same model axles in my MJ.

What year waggy would b best option? I know some of the old ones had driver side drop and lock out hubs, which I would rePly like to have the lock outs but I don't know what years they are and what about ratios between the waggy's and the rodeo rear axle? Can u get them to match up or do I have to buy new R&P what about the 44 or 20 rear out of waggy I k ow the waggy's rear 20 is one piece shaft unlike cjs

Stay away from the disco front 44s and the one's without locking hubs have drive flanges and can be swapped for locking hubs. Pretty sure the 20 in my old waggy had 2 piece shafts but I didn't have it long or pull one out so I can't say for sure.

How much does it cause to change over to lock-out hubs? Is it alot or pretty cheap cause I don't have much money for this, I was hopeing to find d ones that already had the lock-outs I just don't know what hrs to look for, what yr waggy's had the 44s I need even if not lock-outs?

'82-'91 should be good for a Waggy front axle with driver's side drop. Locking hubs run around $100 for a good set if it doesn't already have them. Waggy gears are generally pretty tall, 2.72 to 3.55 is pretty common and won't match the 4.10 or 4.30 found in Isuzu rear d44's.

so what ur saying is I can just go buy a set of hubs and stick them in the axles to replace what ever is in the ends for a $100 from like Autozone that's it? I wouldn't need some kit? I think I saw like 81-82 had lock outs and newer had disco's or full time like new tj's I had a cj5 that had 3:54s in it with straight 6/33s with 4spd they turned pretty good used to b able to hit 90 on highway, so 3:55 with 330hp and 35's should b ok right with a nv4500 I do 90% of trails in 4 low anyways I plan on driveing everyday and wheel on weekends

90mph in a 5? Scary.

Ya many Waggy front axles don't have lockouts, they have drive flanges with a shiny metal cap on the end of the hub. Lockout kits install easily on these models.

The '84-'85 had the vacuum disco d44 option, I run it but it has its quirks. Unless you're gonna run a mini-spool like me you should prolly avoid it.

I would rather avoid the disco's if i can, but i would really like the lock-outs due to fuel mileage since I will b driveing every day to work, are there any other options I have? A friend of mine has a set of ford 1tons from an ambulance with locker in rear but I am worried bout cost of custom axles to fit after I narrow them down

Oh and the 90 mph? Yup it wasn't very fun but I was late for work it wasn't as bad as I thought it would b but kinda shakey

I wouldn't narrow axles due to the cost of custom axleshafts. Having said that, I'm currently narrowing 2 Ford 3/4t front d44's and will be running Waggy axleshafts. Going with this axlehousing to get the high pinion diff & thicker axletubes.

The question I have about the rodeo rear 44 is what about the brake line fittings will they fit into calipers, or will I have to change the brake lines

Hey bounty-hunter, how much do u need to take off them d44s on each side to use waggy axles and are there any other modifications u have to do to the axles to use the waggy axles??? Cause I would like to keep the high pinion in the from since I have SOA on it

I don't have any measurements, I've got a spare Waggy housing here to measure off of. Nothing else will need done over using a standard Waggy housing.

Ok thnx I know there's alot've old fords around my area to get that axle from, kinda haveing problem finding the older waggoner axle with lock out hubs so that's probly gonna b route I take since I can buy the waggoner axles from Autozone and not put out mad money for custom shafts

I'm thinkin also the high pinion design as well due to th angle of front drive shaft do to SOA, the waggy 44s r low pinion aren't they?

Yes, and I'm tired of turning my pinion yoke on the rocks, time to get it up out of the way. I'll eventually be installing the same high pinion center chunk in the rear axle as well.

Back