95 YJ almost complete conversion. Need a little advice.

KletusJeeps

Oh no, My check light came on!

Well fellas here is what we had...

95 YJ
4 Cyl
Auto
3.73 rear gears
30X7.5

Now we have this...
95 YJ
6 Cyl from 2002 TJ
5 Speed Transmission from 1998 TJ
3.73 rear gears
2 in body
2 in shackle
31X10.5
And finally a windjammer :)

Everything is going alright... had to weld on some new motor mounts for the 6 cyl and drill some holes for the transmission mount .....now comes the fun part hooking all the electrical works back up so lights, signals, and instruments work. Any Ideas here fellas? Any suggestions? Anyone wanna help? :roll: Ill have my wife cook whatever you would like to eat, have the fridge stocked with whatever you would like to drink, and give you a crisp Benjamin if you wanna help me one weekend. I live in Oklahoma City. Hell I'll even put you up for a night if ya want... plenty of spare room here. Key here is you need to know how to hook a 2002 wiring harness into a 95 YJ fuse box and instrument cluster.

Let me know,

Kletus

Roughly $1900 for all the engine, transmission, harness, etc...
2in body was $85
2in shackle was $80
tires were about $110 each
windjammer was $25 off ebay. :lol:

much cheaper than going out and buying a TJ...

I would be there in a heartbeat bro to help ya, but I am in boston! Did you take any photos of the old harness, and did you lable them? to make life a little simpler go to like best buy, circit city or what ever, go to the install bay, and ask for a print out of both vehicles electrical this will give you the color, polarity, location, and stuff. won't be there for everything, but will help you out a lot. Also another option would be to call painless wiring, and hassel the tech staff over there, they might be able to help you!

kletus, what part of the city do you live in? I live off of 63rd and may. I dont have any answers for you but would love to lend a hand.

Edmond Oklahoma
give me a call sometime this week... I should be working on it until well....it is running again.

921-8229 my cell

Kletus

I was going to do the same thing and had everything figured out except for the wiring. When it came to that I found out that the 95 is not capabilty to the 2001. The instruments are not the same. What I was told was that the whole dash and electrical system would need to be changed. Also did the transmission fit up to the motor? I thought he 98 was different from the 2002.

you STILL don't have a TJ dewd. you mearly have a YJ with a new Crate engine :p Coil conversion next.

Well dewd. I would rather have my yj with a modified motor than a tj with coil springs anyday of the year.

The transmission bolted up just fine...And I have not got to the dash wires just yet. Soon ... very soon.

An as far as the TJ vs the YJ subject.... I seen it like this. $2K for a new motor (no matter what motor it was) or $10K for a new Jeep.... easy choice for me...

Kletus[/list]

I just like teasing you Leafers. ;)

::Edit::
Then again with my Death wobble you are more than welcome to tease my coils LOL.

Not that anyone will ever need this information but just in case there is another Jeeper out there who tries this let me explain the easiest way to go about setting it up.

If you ever want to change a YJ to any TJ engine with buying the least amount of parts do the following:

Do NOT Buy

-TJ motor mounts or motor perches
-TJ skid plate or transmission mount
-TJ front or rear drive shafts
-TJ :lol: (couldn't resist)

Do Buy

-YJ motor perches for your year w/ a 4.0
-TJ motor brackets to mount to the engine (generally comes with the motor)
-Aftermarket Transmission mount without plate
-Ford Taurus electrical fan (no room for the power robber)
-1/2 steel drill bit (for the skid plate)
-YJ clutch and brake pedal units unless you already have them.
-TJ wiring harness for engine, firewall, and dash units

Well I continue on my long late nights...... My wrench turning....and my patience wearing ordeal of pulling the 4 cyl auto out of my YJ and throwing in a TJ 4.0 stick all because I wanted more power and a stick.

Should have drank a Red Bull (drinking lots lately) and broke a stick off the dead tree in my back yard.

Kletus

Back