95 YJ speedo issues

wishniwasjeepn

My speedometer quit working and upon inspection I found the windsheild was leaking and the back of the gauge cluster was all corroded over. So, I bought a known working cluster and also replaced the speed sensor because I was told the corroded cluster could hae shorted it out. We I installed both and still no speedo! ANY IDEAS? My son leaves for school soon and he has to take the YJ cause the auto trans in his XJ crapped out.

Bounty Hunter, thanks for the info you linked. I could not find the dot to line things up. When I replaced the sensor originally I didn't mess with the gear housing, so I have to assume it's in the same spot as the original. The new sensor had flat pins instead of round and came with a new plug and splice supplies. Anyway, it still doesn't work. I confirmed all the wiring at the cluster & the sensor & inbetween are all good. Any other ideas or thoughts? :???:

I'd pull the speedo gear housing and check the condition of the speedo gear. When reinstalling, just ensure the proper tooth count range is at the 6 o'clock position in the hole.

Back