97 Cherokee Sport whines like a jet engine

FrankManor

Third Jeep. Love it. Love this site already. Now to the prob. 87,000 miles. No visible leaks or anything. Just had to replace an oxygen sensor, but otherwise seems OK. Except for the fact that, on the move, it whines like the turbine on a jet engine (although not quite that loud). I can live with it - but should I? [addsig]

My sister has a cherokee sport and I havent heard any whining coming from the engine before. Simple question but did you check the belt? I would take a few minutes and look for cracked rubber. Sounds like an air leak to me. [addsig]

Don't think it's coming from the engine. More likely powertrain, bearings, something like that. It only happens when I'm moving, not standing still and revving[addsig]

Just bought it from reputable garage few days ago. Assume they did a pre-delivery. In any case it then went back because the engine check light came on. That's when they discovered it needed an oxygen sensor. Replaced it. All is well. Except for that strange noise.[addsig]

a whine sounds like air flowing fast through a small opening or metal on metal rubbing fast where there is no lubrication. I would start with the simpliest and work your way through the variables. Sorry I cant be of more help.[addsig]

Wines........it is comming specifically form your engine? What side? Any one of the 7 pully's the serp belt rides on can be going bad. What happens is the berrings start to seize up cand cause a wine sound. It would most likely be the alternator, idler pully, or the air conditioner. Put a stethescope on each rod that holds the pullys to hear where the sound is comming from (you can borrow on at Napa). If it is one of those, replace it immediately to prevent belt wear and a big project you dont want to deal with.[addsig]

thanks ddoff - don't think it's engine becuase it's only when I'm actually moving. But it still might be worth checking out some of your ideas[addsig]

My wife whines like a jet engine too, just ignore it.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>My wife whines like a jet engine too, just ignore it.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL[addsig]

image-missing.png
@remember The mystery of the whine will be solved by tomorrow (1/17). I will reveal all when it is. Correction, I definitely will not reveal all...but I tell you what the prob was![addsig]

i have '95 cherokee and it does the same thing. the sound is coming from the rear differential. he gears in the diff are grinding in a way that it makes that sound. you cant really escape that problem but you can change the gears and it will be quieter for some time. other than that you have to live with it.[addsig]

Back