97 Cherokee sport

Gregorypaul

Driving home today I spotted a 97 Cherokee sport on a used car lot. What really caught my eye on this was how nice and clean it looked. I stopped and talked to the salesman that only had maybe 15 minutes left on his shift, so I quickly took a peek. Few drips of oil here and there below the valve cover and bottom of motor, hardly any coolant left in reservore. It fired right up, oil pressure went to 40 pounds than to 32 wene warmed up, coolant stayed steady at about 205. Everything sounded smooth. My question is there anything I need to pay special attention to for this model year wene I go back to test drive?
Automatic trany also.
123,000 miles.

Thanks, Greg

Same year I have and I've beat the crap out of it for about 5 years. I know 99s had some head issues but 97 seems to be a good year. First year of the slightly less boxy body and better, roomier interior in my opinion.

xjmarc said:
Same year I have and I've beat the crap out of it for about 5 years. I know 99s had some head issues but 97 seems to be a good year. First year of the slightly less boxy body and better, roomier interior in my opinion.

what 1999 head issues?

Doing a little research on these, I guess some came with the Chrysler 81/4 rear axle.
That would be a big plus over a c-clip 35! It does have the tow package.

Big is an under statement. The 8.25 in 97 and up has 29 spline axles and is pretty close to D44 strength. They'll hold 35s pretty easily. BTW the 8.25 is also c-clipped.

i had a buddy with an older cherokee that cracked the block, never seen it happen to a 1999 though, i drive a 99...

my brother is having problems with his 92 cherokee..he cant seem to figure out what it is it will start but stalls out seconds later..you cherokee guys have any ideas? :) thanks!

has the battery been disconnected lately? i had the same problem when i disconnected the battery to do my headliner, the gas light had just came on as i pulled in the drive way so i diddnt think anything of it, and disconnected the battery, then after plugging everything back in it wouldent stay alive, so we got about 5gal of gas and filled the tank a little and it still wouldent stay alive so i sat in it for about 5 minutes pumping the gas to keep it from stalling in my driveway suddenly the jeep said "hey! ive got gas" and it stopped stalling, not sure what happened but the moral of this story is to have at least a half a tank of gas if you are going to disconnect the battery

bugleboy said:
has the battery been disconnected lately? i had the same problem when i disconnected the battery to do my headliner, the gas light had just came on as i pulled in the drive way so i diddnt think anything of it, and disconnected the battery, then after plugging everything back in it wouldent stay alive, so we got about 5gal of gas and filled the tank a little and it still wouldent stay alive so i sat in it for about 5 minutes pumping the gas to keep it from stalling in my driveway suddenly the jeep said "hey! ive got gas" and it stopped stalling, not sure what happened but the moral of this story is to have at least a half a tank of gas if you are going to disconnect the battery

I don't believe he had but I'll suggest he tries thanks doll

if the battery hasnt been disconected wasting gas is probibly not the solution lol just letting you know what happened to me

I pulled up a carfax on this vehicle before my test drive and saw that there was an issue with a accident with a total loss. I asked the dealership about it and they stated that the vehicle was hit in the rear driver panel and the insurance company totaled it instead of fixing it. For asking price of 4500 this didn't sound good. Took it for a test drive since this lot was so close to my house. It stated right up and I jumped on the freeway. Very responsive with lots of power. Drove straight and steady down the highway. Pulled into my driveway and jacked up the rear end. This frame was tataly slammed. You could see how it was levered from one section of the frame to straighten out the rest, driver and passenger side. Also rewelded where a portion was split. Everything freshly rattle canned black. Asked the manager about this, he new what had happened.
I hate ripoffs.

Gregorypaul said:
I pulled up a carfax on this vehicle before my test drive and saw that there was an issue with a accident with a total loss. I asked the dealership about it and they stated that the vehicle was hit in the rear driver panel and the insurance company totaled it instead of fixing it. For asking price of 4500 this didn't sound good. Took it for a test drive since this lot was so close to my house. It stated right up and I jumped on the freeway. Very responsive with lots of power. Drove straight and steady down the highway. Pulled into my driveway and jacked up the rear end. This frame was tataly slammed. You could see how it was levered from one section of the frame to straighten out the rest, driver and passenger side. Also rewelded where a portion was split. Everything freshly rattle canned black. Asked the manager about this, he new what had happened.
I hate ripoffs.

dang :/ rottin luck man, no shakes or shimmys when you drove it? what are you going to do, or what did you do with it?

Told the dude it was not worth more than 1,500.00. Of course he was not going to sell for that.

Back