A/C problems

B.Jones

I have a 98 wrangler 4.0. My a/c has only been blowing out of the defrost lately. I took to my mechanic figuring it was just a vacuum problem but he said I need a new climate control. I couldn't find the exact same kind on ebay. But I found one for a 99 wrangler, which is the knob style adjustments. Mine is the slide adjustment. Would the one for the 99 work? I'd much rather have the control knobs than the slide adjustments. Thanks in advance.

same prob with my 97. it was a broken lever for the door (located behind the radio accessible from the drivers side.) i just bought one on ebay for 14.95. i would look for a new mechanic.

I don't have a broken lever. I took the climate control out and made sure all the wires were plugged in the back and then I noticed that the climate control doesn't even fit in the dash right. It isn't wide enough to screw in the brackets. Does anyone have a pic of what the climate control for a 98 wrangler looks like? I'm thinking maybe it's a different unit since it doesn't line up right. Any help is greatly appreciated.

it should have sliders to switch between modes. if cold air comes out of the defrost vents, then the system is ok. there is a problem diverting air where it needs to go. it uses vacuum actuators to open & close doors routing the air. a plastic arm on one of those doors broke on mine & no more air out of the dash vent, only defrost vent.

If that arm broke would the it quit blowing out of the dash right then? It would work every now and then for a few weeks and then it finally stopped blowing out of the dash. What wouldbe the reason for the climate control not fitting in the dash?

mine acted like a vacuum leak before it quit working completely. i guess it was hanging on to a last bit of plastic before breaking. not sure about not fitting. if it has sliders, it is the proper unit. the is some extra space around mine i think, but it is securely bolted in. remove the center dash panel & the panels below the steering wheel. you will see several silver canisters with metal arms sticking out of them. those are the vacuum actuators. with the the engine running, move the hvac controls to each position to make sure the actuators are moving properly. the vent control in question with me was the one next to the top. the actuator moved correctly, but i noticed the arm had a broken piece of plastic on the end (door arm). hope that helps
mike

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes. I will get under there tomorrow afternoon and take a look at it

Ok. Me and my mechanic checked it out again. No broken levers. He said the vacuum deal was fine. He said he believes it's the climate control. We tied the levers off so it does blow out of the vents. But I only hope for that to be temporary. I haven't found a climate control for a 98 but I have found one for a 99 (which is a different style) would it work or am I going to have to find the exact match?

try the local junkyards. most jeeps get picked clean pretty quick though.

Thanks for all the info. I went to there website. You had just typed it wrong. It's emeraldcoastautosalvage.com. They did have the part at a good price. I'm waiting to hear back about shipping but I'm sure I'll get it. Thanks for the help.

Did your Mechanic check the vac. line to the vac. reservoir? its under the battery tray. it's accesible from the bottom of the jeep behind the pass. front tire. it usually breaks on that area.

Back