A Newbie Trying to Get wet

glfnguy16

I have a TJ and would like to just leave the top off when it rains. What should i remove/cover to safetly do this? What about the radio, steering column, a/c controls? Will they get hurt during a rainy day? What about seat covers? What kind and type of fabric? Any help would be appreciated!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Mmmm not too sure about this. I've always tried to cover up if it looks like rain.

I did get a bit wet last week though, had the top up, but all windows out and the back up when we got a pretty good storm come over.

The cd player got wet and needed a few hours afterwards to dry out, but other than that, it seemed pretty good.

Have a look at that center column in the dashboard, with all the a/c and stereo controls, you might be able to fit something over it with elastic edges just in case, kinda like one of those old lady hair cap things, only bigger - it'll give you peace of mind at least.

As far as seats go - one word: Neoprene!

I have the stock cloth seats in mine, and it all drys up pretty good provided you can run around with the top down for a while afterward.

hope this helps!

[addsig]

My recommendation would be to get a trail cover. Exposing the interior of your jeep to weather day in and day out will rot, crack and rust just about everything over time. It’s even harder on anything that can hold water, like carpet (good-bye floor boards) and seats and electronics. A trail cover takes just a minute to place over your jeep, and you won’t have to worry about anything after that. If there is a chance it will be getting wet frequently I would at least pull up the carpet, get good seat covers.[addsig]

I'm not so sure your TJ's interior was designed for the weather. Unlike my 82' CJ-5, rain, mud, sun, birds couldn't hurt it's interior. I removed the carpets long ago, keep the floor board drain holes open, heck, I wash it out with a hose! But, it's not my daily driver either. Only thing I protect the interior from is CATS! They tend to spray the drivers seat and control peddles.

I figured marking them myself would stop them from spraying. Didn't. so i now have a jeep cover.

For the new jeeps though, I agree with wv84cj7 it wouldn't be a good idea to exopse your interior year round.[addsig]

Gimme a call I can ship directly to you at the lowest price, we can't be beat. If you find something cheaper gimme a call, i'll meet or beat it. the number is 734-586-5294, ask for J.J. We specialize in BDS and many other suspension/bolt on accecories.

IT'S A JEEP THING!!!!!!

STEEL HORSE MAKES A WATER TIGHT BOX TO PUT ALL YOUR RADIO AND CB EQUIPTMENT IN, AND WET OAKLE MAKES A SWEET SEAT COVER THATS PRETTY WATER TIGHT!!!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've gotten my Jeep wet on accident many times, I do use a trail cover if i know rain is emminent. I have Wet Okole Seat Covers, which I love. A CJ's dash is no more water proof than a TJ's, it's just how the dashes are set up. Yhe CJ is flatter and doesn't let rain in where the TJ just sticks out too much. Water + Electronics + BAD no matter what.

If I'm stuck and it's gonna rain, I try to park my jeep so the water will hit the windshield(storm coming from the north, park her facing that way) water will be less likely to hit the dash and radio straight on.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

A top? whats that? I have not had one on for a few years now
image-missing.png
but mine is a '80 CJ7.

um for you. water resistant seat covers. get rid of the carpet......[addsig]

Back