AC Compressor only runs for a couple seconds

AaronB

newbie w/ questions

Hey
The A/C on my 94 Gr.Cherokee hasn't worked since I got it. The compressor never engaged at all. I just tried to put some R134a in, and the system took maybe 1/3 of a can. Now when I turn on the A/C, the compressor will come on intermittently for a second or two. But that is it, no cool air. Any trouble shooting suggestions, electrical fuses, relays, switches that might effect the compressor cutting out prematurely?

Thanks for any help!

RE: Re: RE: Road noise? What road noise?

its still low on charge. when the compressor turns on keep adding refrigerant... it shuts off because the compressor causes the low pressure sensor to trip.

I have a 95 gr. cherokee and I too did the a/c refill last summer. My compresser was also short cycling but as i kept adding the refrigerant the cycle would get longer and longer. The stuff I added had a gauge on it and you see the pressure drop ever time the compresser would run, as it would take a little from the bottle each time. Hope that helps...

it must of leaked somewhere, Look for oil on the fittings... All belt driven compressors will leak from the crankshaft seal (thats normal) . If it goes totally empty, you must repair the leak and pull it into a vacuum.

Back