AC problems

saintsokwitit

I have a 91 wrangler thats not cooling the same all the time. When I have temp setting on coldest setting it blows really cold most of the time but warms up about every few minutes. its really troublesome on very hot days because it doesn't blow consistently cold. Is this normal?

You have an air conditioner? omg i'm so jealous. Have you checked your compressor? and when was the last time it was charged with freeon? my guess would be the compressor though

do your lines have a lot of moisture on them? If so, there could be a restriction in there somewhere.

Then check to make sure it's fully charged and the hi and lo side pressures are good.

Then check the compressor out next.

I recently had the freon checked and it was fine. The lines do have lots of condensation on them.The AC blows really cold air just not consistently 100% of time. It almost feels like it mixes warmer air with the cold air.

Being a 91, your A/C came with R-12 Freon. Has it ever been retrofitted for R-134A?

My first thoughts would be that the clutch is kicking out on you OR a blend door is losing the required vaccum in order to keep the hot air from the heater core out of the flow.

When the air warms up, does it ever move the vents it comes from, like from the dash vents to the defrost. If not, I would lean more to the clutch kicking out. There is a switch that turns the voltage on and off to the field coil magnet on the clutch. And I think that your system uses a expansion block metering device not an orfice tube.

When it gets warm all of the sudden again and while it is still warm, if you can catch it doing it while in park, check to see if the clutch is engaged when it's acting up, it it is still turning, then I'd look at the blend door/vaccum lines.

I checked today to see if the clutch was disengaging when the air got warmer and it is staying engaged the whole time. Where is the blending door at? Can I make adjustments on door are is this something I have to live with?

tear that underdash AC unit outta there and convert the compressor to on board air ;)

Dude, I live in Southwest Louisiana, I'm not about to tear the AC out. A little AC is better than not having an AC at all. It is a tropical eviroment down here and is unbearable sometimes without an AC.

Okay, so move north first!

Just kidding man, it was in jest ;)

My last Jeep was a daily driver and it had A/C.

Mine was ICE COLD 2 months ago and one day after work, I heard a ...PSSSTTTTT....and *BAM* - no more cold air. I think I must've blown a seal or something. There was a coat of clear lube on the inside of the hood. It hasn't been converted yet and I was thinking of doing it myself. I hate to buy a conversion kit if it's a bigger issue. Any ideas?

bcrowe said:
Mine was ICE COLD 2 months ago and one day after work, I heard a ...PSSSTTTTT....and *BAM* - no more cold air. I think I must've blown a seal or something. There was a coat of clear lube on the inside of the hood. It hasn't been converted yet and I was thinking of doing it myself. I hate to buy a conversion kit if it's a bigger issue. Any ideas?

Before you convert anything, you gotta fix what broke first.

The conversion kit is nothing more than some new fittings that screw right on top of the the old ones and some new oil that is compatible with the new refrigerant.

Fix your problem. see what broke replace it, repair the leak, drain out as much of the old oil as you can, you can blow it out with shop air through the condensor, that should be enough, install the new fittings, pull a vacuum and recharge the system. Remember it will take alot less R-134 than it did the R-12. When you get to that point, let me know, I'll convert it for ya, but there might be a chart on the kit package.

I looked around and think I found my problem. The A/C unit is from a Jeep, just not mine. It was added later and the hoses pushed through the firewall. The hoses attach inside the cab with compression fittings and such as expected. The other ends connect in the engine compartment with hose clamps!
It look like someone grabbed it at the salvage yard, cut the hoses to free the unit and dragged the whole unit out through the cab. Anyone have ideas where to buy replacement compression lines?!

The best thing to do it have some made.
If you look in your yellow pages for a good size radiator shop, unsually they will also do A/C and any mid size town has a company that makes the hoses with the fittings in place. Just make sure and measure right and not too short.

Back