adding to a lift kit

suthrn98

Hey guys. my newer xj with 4 banger has the 3.5 inch rubicon lift kit. New arms and springs and all the goodies. I got some 31's on her. If I wanted to run 32s or 33s Could I just add spacers on top of the springs? Or would I need a x-fer case drop kit and SYE?

Heck 31's will get er done just fine! Think about it a 33 only gives you 1 more inch of clearence and you loose more power and MPG! Is it really worth it? tug

RE: catylitic converter question ($800?!?!?!?)

What year XJ? You can add the spacers on top of the lift springs, but you'll have a tall combined spring/spacer height for a shortarm setup. Anything over 4" gets the control arms really steep and makes for some poor handling issues onroad and off.

well 33's will give you a better approach, breakover, and departure angle, as well as make your tread wider, the 4 banger could pose a problem though i geuss, you might be a little sluggish after that

by your reasoning tug, why go to 31's? theyre only 2inches bigger than the stock tires and only add an inch to clearance anyway? theres always room for improvement it just needs to have a good ending point, something i dont have with my jeep... gawd it killls me

currupt4130 said:
theres always room for improvement it just needs to have a good ending point, something i dont have with my jeep... gawd it killls me
wait... you mean to tell me there's an end to the madness down the tunnel? i'm not sure i believe that.

RE: new jeep guy question

You will definately need to drop the xfer case or better yet do the SYE. Is your stock gear ratio 4.10? 32's might not be too bad but the 33's will leave you in need of re-gearing. Do you have 16" wheels? There are some narrower 32 and 33" tire sizes available in 16" variety. Just a thought, a narrower tire wouldn't be as bad on gas/power on stock gears.

The narrower swampers are available in a 15" size if you know where to look, as well as the 33x10.5 BFG's. You can go pretty high on a pre'97 XJ without the need for a SYE or TC drop, '97+ can't handle the lift as well without getting driveline vibes.

wheeling withdrawal!!!

take a look into spacers for the front and shackles for the rear. shackles are really easy to install (they don't require you to take the spring pack apart), and you can usually find the combo for $100 or under. Shackles might also help your driveline angle by pointing the differential closer to the tcase ouput thus possibly reducing your vibes (NO PROMISES :) ). as bounty said vibes are rare on pre-97 xj's.

Aight well on my 91 with 4-oh I have the rubicon 4.5 inch kit. I have 33x12.50s on it. But when I flex it grabs fenders. I dont want to tear it up and i dont want smaller tires. Can i just add the spacers up front, and shackles out back for a total of about 6.25 inches? Would have better flex, cuz the tires would have more room to go. Would this work?

You could:
Trim the fenders relocating your stock flares, or
get new cut-out flare (i.e.: Bushwacker), or
get longer bump stops, or
get a budget boost.

The budget boost will require you to do a SYE,and a new driveshaft without question if you have the 4.5" kit, but your first post said you have the 3.5" which will probably find you in the same boat. I would do as siminsez suggested and go with a shackle rather than an AAL for the rear. Why mess a good quality RE spring up and it will help driveline angles.

well i am asking about two different jeeps. I have an 89 fourbanger with 3.5 and I also have a 91 with 4.0 and 4.5 lift. I am going to leave the 89 alone. I want my 91 to have more flex, and I don't want to cut fenders. I guess I am going to get some spacers and shackles. Does anyone sell this longer drivshaft?

RE: Step into the Wayback Machine with me.....

you can get a longer driveshaft anywhere... you may have a driveshaft or truck specialty shop in your area... you'll have to do the lift.. then measure for a shaft

RE: Happy New Year JEEPZ!

I am thinking of this as well. I have a 3" BDS system. I want to fit 32's on my Jeep. I have the front bumper trimmed on my Jeep. Its a 2001 XJ.
I have new control arms and a t'case drop that came with my BDS lift. I also have the trackbar mount.

Could I run coil spacers and rear shackles (no more than 2" of lift) with my setup? I know I'd have to look into getting longer swaybar connects and brake lines and shocks. But I would do anything to avoid having an SYE with CV.

RE: so if i add..

the SYE and CV is not so bad... it costs a few bucks... but it is a golden investment.. and NOT really that hard to install the sye

::in whiny voice::

BUT STILL.....

The SYE and CV really have to be changed when you change lift anyways.

BLEH. I'll go ahead and get the 2" later with the SYE and CV all at one shop. Think I need shocks??

Let's not forget the proper use of bumpstops, they'll help keep the tires out of the flares and greatly extend the life of the springs.

Transfercase rattle on a 99 TJ

Hey Guys, What about on a 94 ZJ, How much can i raise it without replacing all that stuff? i am willing to replace the swing arms, but dont want to get to expensive. After all I am just a college student

Back