All I can say is....WOW

90Xjay

This was copied from an actual post on the Miller welding forums.
The link to the entire thread is below the post.

I am looking to increase the effective thermal output of my MIG (Millermatic 350) and TIG (Miller Aerowave 300) welders by replacing the shielding gas with a blend of oxygen and acetylene or pure oxygen. I asked my local welding supplier about an assembly to mix the oxygen and acetylene and feed it to the welders, and they wouldn't give me any information about how to do this. They also refused to sell me a hose assembly and adapters to connect an oxygen tank with regulator directly to the welders. Does anyone know of an online or mail order supplier who carries what I need and doesn't have the attitude problem that my local welding store does? I could cut the hoses from a torch and go to the hardware store and get some hose barbs and y's, and splice the torch hoses to the sheilding gas hoses, but I would prefer to do this properly.

I am also looking to convert an LP gas barbecue grill to burn oxygen so it is hotter and more efficient at cooking. If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. It would be OK to use acetylene to ignite the oxygen as with a torch, but I don't want to cook with the acetylene and risk contaminating the food.

Thanks for any information that any of you are able to supply.

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/showthread.php?t=4819

Man, what an idiot.

Oh, and good luck to him trying to burn oxygen in his grill. Oxygen is an accelerant and will not burn on its own. I used to work for a home health company and we had some oxygen concentrators that purified room air and put out about 96% pure oxy. We would test them by holding a lighter in front of the output hose and if it burned brighter than normal it was purifing and we could then further test the concentration.

Last edited:
Hmm... Make the grill hotter... With WELDING GASES! Assuming it was possible to burn pure oxygen, why the heck would you want to do that?!? High heat is not good unless you are searing, caramelizing, or baking. Unless you want everything from the grill to end up Pittsburgh style...

Pittsburgh: A steak temperature outside the realm of rare-well... Involving the outside layer of the steak to be burned crispy, the center of it remaining blue.

Blue: If rare is a cool red center, blue is a COLD red center. Uncooked in any way, mark it and get it OFF the grill before it cooks.

Sounds like this guy's gonna end up blowing his eyebrows off.

This has practical joke written all over it. I have submitted goofy questions to companies in the past to see what happens... This looks the same. If not, God help this man.

Looks like this guy is straight out of the old show "home improvement" with the thinking of Tim "the toolman" Taylor.

ARR ARR ARRUU?

Kinda reminds me of when my buddy put oxyacetylene into his pvc potato gun. He was pulling plastic shards out of his body for a week....he's lucky to be alive.

high explosive, potatoes, pvc, almost sounds like fun...minus the near death expierience...

My lawn mower runs on ethynol/methane mixture, sure smells!

Sparky-Watts said:
I'm wondering if I can run acetylene through my intake on the YJ for more power?
Go for it. Make sure you video tape it so we can all see what happens.

Sparky-Watts said:
I'm wondering if I can run acetylene through my intake on the YJ for more power?
You set it up Sparky and I will pay you 100$ for the video rights....:D

Craig said:
Kinda reminds me of when my buddy put oxyacetylene into his pvc potato gun. He was pulling plastic shards out of his body for a week....he's lucky to be alive.

I was testing the ignitor on an old patato gun, after I had sprayed ether into the champer I pulled the trigger. Flames shot out and burned my face off. I think it caused me to become nearsighted. Wow I was an idiot.

BTW I see a future winner for the darwin awards.......

I can see the headlines now......."ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN A FACTOR" Do the words "HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS!" mean anything? Those are the last 4 words a Jack-@ss says before KABLOOOOEY!

Sully said:
I was testing the ignitor on an old patato gun, after I had sprayed ether into the champer I pulled the trigger. Flames shot out and burned my face off. I think it caused me to become nearsighted. Wow I was an idiot.

BTW I see a future winner for the darwin awards.......
So that explains why you shaved your head before.

Back