AMC 20 IS in TJ

The point of my build is to have a sick off road vehicle with on road excellence.
Now i am new to this started maybe a year ago and have wheeled it stock plenty. Now, building it up starting with 33's then 35's and so on would increase my $$$$$$ in the project greatly. I read a lot of books on this. The four wheelers bible 2nd edition by Jim Allen is where i got this idea for the axles. My reasoning for 37's is that i was going to run some pretty difficult trails. Now im no mechanic so it would be pretty bad to break something, but that is inevitable. Now this jeep is going to a shop to be fixed up. I was not picking my axles randomly. i was originally thinking of a 8.8 and 44 but the book said those could only hole 35's under moderate conditions. so changed the game plan. Now one last note, i am not jumping right into moab, i am going to build up my skills until i become ready. Maybe gain some tips along the way.

Tom

GM 12 bolt thoughts?????

front end hmmmm anything?

First of all 37s on the road You'll be bouncing like a basket ball ,

you do not need 37 s to do the most extreme trails , I run 33 s and run some really narley trails and in some cases go where the big boys can't , any tire over 33s is just overkill and is looking to break every possible thing ,

8.8 and a 44 will do just fine

you are fairly new to the sport take it easy
like bounty hunter said
start small than grow
gain some experience on the trails
learn what your rig is capable of doing
than upgrade from there
remember its not the rig who con cores the trail its the driver
seen many highly modified rigs fail on some trails that a almost stock rig con cored with little effort
having the sickest rig does not mean you'll be able to con core any certain obstacle its more the skill of the driver not the rig,
in the long run you will be more happier if you feel out your rig and do a step by step build rather than a full blown build you most likely wont like and leaves you broke!!
building a trail rig is not cheap in no means just the cost of tires will hurt your pocket yet alone everything else you will need

Ask me how I know over $13K later

Last edited:
Just an idea but check out throwing some rubicon dana 44's under your tj. These are pretty bullet proof. And probably wouldn't be a huge amount of adapting. We chose scout axles with arbs. Great setup that has held up against any abuse we can throw at them. Good luck.

Unless you are referring to JK Rubi axles don't waste your time. The TJ Rubi 44s are fancied up 30/35s. The front is a LP30 with a 44 ring and pinion and the rear is a light duty 44.

Ah ok I see jps.
I do not run into many F250LD trucks, so I am not sure but IFS does sound right.

Ford rims, to date they have made all of their truck rim diameters in steel. Look to either full size spare tire rims, or the XL option package trucks, like what municipalities use, they come with steel rims all the way around.
Most Dodge and GM rims do not work even if they have 8 on 6.5"BP due to the pilot hole diameter. Ford has the largest pilot hole of the big three. But there are some oddball rims that will work as they are. I am running H2 rims on my 1 tons but I had to bore the pilot hole out to 4.9375 for them to fit on the Ford hubs.
For 17" factory steel rims and metric BP look to 05+ Superduty rims either spare tire or XL option package trucks. They have a lot of back spacing 6"IIRC, so much so when they are used on a 99-04 SD you need a 2" spacer so they do not rub on the leaf springs.
I hope that helps open up some rim and axle options for those who want 1 tons.
I agree with xjmarc the TJ rubi front D44 is a waste of time and money for running 37's. For all intents and purposes it is a D30 with D44 R&P. Jeep really missed the mark when they speced out this axle.

jps4jeep said:
Apparently not, if this was so, you would just build and repair your rig with out posting on a forum.

I appologize for refering to you as an asshat, I did say no offence.

But it was not appropriate, troll is appropriate.

Def. found here Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I have a sincere question, do you do any research at all before you ask a pointed questions? 10 seconds with google will tell you what I think you want to hear.

I've been researching for a year. And I'm done with this forum to wranglerforum.com I go.

I've been researching for a year. And I'm done with this forum to wranglerforum.com I go.

FWIW, I've been on this forum since I ordered my TJ from the factory almost 5 years ago (wow, has it really been that long?), and I have asked some really dumb questions on here and everyone has been very patient and helpful and I really appreciate it :).

jeeptjon37's said:

Why I don't see where anybody has really been that mean to you? If you really want to get fired up go to pirate 4x4

I hate it when people ask questions even though they really already know what they plan to do and have no intent on listening to anyone's advice.

I've got a TJ with 6" lift, 35" tires and it feels way too tippy for me on some trails. I couldn't imagine doing anything with 37"'s. I ran the Rubicon last year and have no doubt that I could've made it with my 33"s.

Ya it's best that your jeep progress at the same rate as your driving skills, no need to build an extreme rig if you can't respond to the extreme situations it is capable of getting you into.

Jeeptjon37's, when you post on a forum, you have to be prepared to take criticism whether it be positive or negative. Everybody on this forum is willing to help or you wouldn't have the number of responses you have had on your multiple threads.

Do what you want because that's the only way you'll be happy. From what I've seen you don't want anyone's opinion unless they say what you want.
I'm guessing the guy running 40s on the 44 front is real easy on the gas. I've snapped chromos in my front 44 running 35s.

xjmarc said:
Do what you want because that's the only way you'll be happy. From what I've seen you don't want anyone's opinion unless they say what you want.
I'm guessing the guy running 40s on the 44 front is real easy on the gas. I've snapped chromos in my front 44 running 35s.

Oh I was thinking about the hp44

The HP44 is still relatively weak for 37" tires. It can be limped along, but does that suit how you want to wheel?

How much wheeling and type of wheeling have you done?

Same here but with narrow 36" tires.

jeeptjon37's If I were you I would get a 1" body lift and a 2.5" spring lift, 33" tires, rocker guards, diff guards and run it like that for a while. if your not getting horribly stuck, you don't need anything larger.

after several trips you find that your not making it through a certain part of a trail, then I would add a lunch box locker or two.

wheel till you hit the limit of your equipment, add a winch

then maybe a long arm suspension and then some 35's

then when you blow up your stock axles successfully, then I would look to building axles and gears. then some 37's.

then after finding out you think you need more power, look at power adders of a bigger motor.

this would be a progressive build.

Bounty__Hunter said:
The HP44 is still relatively weak for 37" tires. It can be limped along, but does that suit how you want to wheel?

How much wheeling and type of wheeling have you done?

The HP 44 is considerably stronger than a rubicon 44 and can easily handle 37 inch tires!

The HP 44 is considerably stronger than a rubicon 44 and can easily handle 37 inch tires!

Depends on how and what kind of terrain you wheel. If it's mud they it would be fine but I ride rocks and like I said I have snapped chromos in mine running 35s. And it's a HP44 out of a 78 F250. Not saying you can't run 37s, I know people who do it on a D35, but it won't hold up if you wheel it hard.

I know the difference as I'm currently building 2 custom HP44's. Yes the reverse cut ring and pinion is slightly stronger, and it's a stronger housing, but they still run smallish shafts and ujoints. You can run anything you want and tiptoe around, like say 44" tires on a D30, doesn't make it right for everyone.

Back