Amc 20 to Dana 44 swap

808CJ7

Hey gang. I am about to swap in a very rare Dana 44 from a 86 cj 7 into my 76 cj 7. My question is, does the 44 use a different length drive shaft than the amc 20?

how much difference is there in between the centering pins and u-joint flange, like length wise? that will be your decider.

Are you also swapping the front axle? stock, the 76 ran narrow track axles. the D44 from a 86 is wide track.

also there is no real gain of a D44 over a model 20 assuming you replace the 2 pcs shaft with 1 pcs.

I've swapped out my axles before. So I have wide track axles now. This is my second amc 20 that is giving me problems. I was thinking of a one piece axle swap, but the Dana 44 has the same gear ratio I have now. Figure I might as well go with the 44.

big_o_tom said:
Youll probably have to shorten the driveshaft, I had to when I swapped in my dana 44.

How much shorter did you have to go? I ask because I have a six inch lift and my driveshaft is a little on the stretched side as it is. The 44 might bring it back to spec.

My 44 came from a scout. When I put it in I had to collapse the shaft all the way and it would barely fit. I don't remember how much I had it shortened. You mentioned your model 20's were giving you problems, what were they?

My first 20 was the original narrow track. That one broke an axle shaft. Then I got a set of wide tracks and did the swap. Now the axle is leaking at the drum. Upon disassembly I found the bearings and seals are wasted. This axle was rebuilt less than a year ago. I am so over amc 20's

808CJ7 said:
How much shorter did you have to go? I ask because I have a six inch lift and my driveshaft is a little on the stretched side as it is. The 44 might bring it back to spec.

It is lifted!

big_o_tom said:
Sounds like putting the 44 in will also help the driveshaft length.

I hope so, I'm trying to keep it as low budget as possible. Right now I'm only about 2 grand over. Ha ha, only in a jeep

I was thinking about doing the scout 44 swap as well, but got lucky and found the cj. From what I was reading, the scout 44 rear is pretty easy. It's the 44 front that's a real pain. I hope yours goes well. I know it will be worth it.

Back