Another Stupid Jeep Owner

mud4feet

Which, of course would be me (hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, you can't truly enjoy laughing).

So, a friend of Mrs. Mud came to visit us from Florida. It's dark when she goes to leave and she won't go down our driveway (pretty steep, needless to say). We work out a plan, Mrs. Mud will drive my TJ and I'll drive the friend's Kia (Yes, that's right, Kia) down to the gas station by the interstate where she can be on her way. Anyway, I'm following my Jeep and drivin' this Kia and all goes well - we meet at the gas station. When I go to get in my Jeep, Mrs. Mud tells me it's "revving" every time I push in the clutch. So I get in and start it and, sure enough, I thought it was going to redline. I pop the hood, tinker here and there, can't find anything, so I say lets just get it home. While I'm driving, I feel the throttle kicking in and out (not under acceleration, just when "feathering"). I get home, let it idle, and see a pattern. It revs up to 3500, cuts off almost to a normal idle, revs up to about 2000, couple seconds back to 3500, then all over again. I am stumped. I thought, HEY, I know where to get some help.......JEEPZ!! I go into my computer and, low and behold, the Brazilians are back!
Next morning, had to drive her to church. Can't imagine the looks I got at every light as she went through her "revving routine" - think all the minivans thought I wanted to race 'em. Got 'er home and checked for codes (none), checked fuses, electrical connections, owners manual, Jeepz (Brazilians still in control)........no help. As I was about to shut the hood, happened to spy a hose loose on the intake manifold (or whatever its called on fuel injection). Stuck the hose back on and everything's back to normal........can't see the forest for the trees kinda thing, I guess. After I announced my genius to Mrs. Mud, she told me a little story about the previous night. Seems as she was leaving the driveway, my Jeep was beepin' (ebrake on), she couldn't find the lights or the ebrake (YJ driver - not used to the new-fangled arrangements), the Jeep stalled so she told me she just popped the clutch to re-start (fine with me), but the Jeep was still in reverse, made one heck of a noise (I can only imagine), and THAT is when the "revving thing" started (always nice to know these things after the fact, isn't it?). To make a long story even longer, everything is now back to normal (?) in the mud world. Hope y'all read this and get a grin and shake your heads over my stupidity. It's great have Jeepz back!!!

stupid mud

Funny, and thanks for sharing!!

My friend, you aren't stupid, just yet another one of us who finds that the many issues our rigs have are usually much simpler than what they truly are. You are a kindred spirit. We all have disconnected hoses every now and then. Its a tree dude...we all have to remind ourselves. Those forests are for the "other" guy.

---Mingez

Thinking about getting a SWB Jeep.

Hi,

I couldn't understand what you said caused the problem ??? Anyways, I always forget to check the little things first... I guess I just like solving complicated problems, even if they don't exsist :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

It Could have been worse, you could have taken it to a mechanic and payed an $85 diagnostics fee.

Hey, I've had a hose disconnected in my brain pretty much all my life, so the crew here on Jeepz are the last ones I'm gonna call stupid!

enjoyable story we can all learn something from. simple yet symbolic of the ways of the eagle in the sky.

Back