Any way to make a smoother road ride?

ZBTstang

Unfortunatly all my jeep really sees (besides the inside of the mechanics shop) is road. I was wondering if there were any easy to do upgrades or add ons that will make a road ride any smoother. I love the feel of the jeep, dont get me wrong. Im just not to thrilled with feeling every bump in the road 10X worse than in a car.

[addsig]

why does it never go offroad? does it have personality issues? identity crisis?[addsig]

a jeep wouldn't be a jeep if it didn't ride like an empty beer can. leave it the way it is and at least take it through a mud puddle or something please.[addsig]

switching over to hydraulic shocks and getting some new suspension bushings will help a little, as well as some better (bigger?) tires...

also, if you need a little extra cushion, eat a few cheesesteaks and gain a few pounds :) lol[addsig]

You know what? I think on and off raod the jeep has a really good smooth ride. If you are looking for a smooth ride, why do you have a jeep? Also. My jeep is smoother going through downtown DC/Baltimnore streets and most of them or horrible in a car. or even worse if the car is lowered.... so for a smoother ride in a jeep.... it is like...taking a cheap honda civic off roading... you know. Well im not trying to get mean on you, but to each his own. I just Love the feel of the jeep and everything it does.

steve[addsig]

hey, what about me? :) heh...[addsig]

Damn...didnt mean to piss everybody off....jerks. Thanks for no help.

I didn't see where you pissed anybody off. You have to be thick skinned around jeepers, the whole lot is a good group that is generally light hearted about everything. They're just razzing you, toughen up and filter out the responses that are helpful.

Shocks make a world of difference. If your ride is real stiff, it may have gas-charged shocks. Replace your shocks with some smooth riding Hydraulic shocks like Dingus recommended. Check out Doetsch-Tech 3000's and Rusty's Offroad Hydro's.[addsig]

Ha, sorry Dingus...thanks bro...you too Bounty. I love my jeep I just dont like hitting a pot hole and going flying into the other lane or having people almost cringe everytime we're about to hit a big bump. Its also not the most fun thing to have when you have to drive to work hung over.[addsig]

What year/model jeep do you have? What mods, if any?

thanks.[addsig]

Hey you might want to check into getting a different type tire as well as looking into different shocks. The tire you are using might be rated for mulit-purpose. Look at the load rating.. You might be able to get a soother ride by simply changing to a more highway tire design.

Anyways good luck and, if nothing else, keep one of those little travel pillows with you, and just before you hit the bump put it on your head, might help, might not.. :lol: :lol:
:cool:

edited by: Alaskan_Jeeper, Apr 16, 2003 - 05:58 AM[addsig]

It is a stock 98 TJ 4 cycl. I dont have any mods because im a poor college student. So not only do I not have any money, but I havent had the time to really push the thing off road (it breaks down to much on the road as it is) and see what I want to/can do to it. What made me think of this post was actually the tires. I know this is stupid but anyone whos seen that new michellin commercial where they claim there tire really helps reduce the bumps in something like a jeep[addsig]

Yeah, I wasnt purposesl;y trying to be mean to you. jsut some midl teasing.. yeah i know how the poor college life goes up will about 3 months ago. i started workinga full time job ...which is killing me in sleep. But the sommercial I have seen it. I am debating on what kind of tires getting for my jeep... they are stock now. but.... they will stay that way till i save up money for those....good luck with that.

steve[addsig]

Yes, tires can make a difference. LT (light truck) tires generally ride rougher than P (passenger) tires. The higher the load rating of the tire, the rougher it will ride.[addsig]

Install a set of rancho 9,000 shocks. They give you a really smooth ride, almost to smooth. If so, just turn them up. :evil: [addsig]

Install a set of rancho 9,000 shocks. They give you a really smooth ride, almost to smooth. If so, just turn them up.

Would those be the RS9000X How much do they run?[addsig]

There about $70.00 a piece. But there buy three get one free right now. There worth the money. Good luck :evil: [addsig]

Back