Anybody rebuilt an AX 5??

offctr

I lost 5th gear in My 93 Wrangler around Allentown PA this morning,but nothing else 1-4 and R all still work fine w/ no vibration or noise other than an occasional sound I can attribute to leftover gear or bearing parts from 5 ocasionally getting knocked about in the case but it got me home to Pittsburgh with no other trouble. I havent got $750 or so for a rebuilt right now till I get working agian (laid off at the beginning of the month) the rest of the jeep except the engine (replaced about 10K ago) and clutch has 131K on it so I figure its due for an overhaul anyway. Since I currently have more time than money--Is this thing home rebuildable?

our local transmission shop said that with all the time, labor, parts, and most of all the TROUBLE... it is MUCH better to buy a used, or remanu-ed ax-5 than to tackle the rebuild

I was afraid that was going to be the case. I may have to take a run at fixing it for now and replacing the whole unit later. More expensive in the long run I know but unless I can find one cheap at a local wrecking yard or fix the one Ive got I'm stuck for a while.

Oh well broke down and spent the money on a rebuilt its going behind a rebuilt engine and clutch so ought to get another ten years or so out of it.
Dang it all though I was so happy yesterday morning when I left outta jersey that the old jeep was still hangin in after ten years plus -- the engine and consequent oil soaked clutch was jiffylubes fault it wouldnt have grenaded without they're help-- But she got me across the state and home in good shape so I cant complain. Thanks for the responses guys!

Well good Luck and let us know how it turns out for you ....:)

The clip broke that holds 5th gear on the shaft, allowing the gear to slide. It's the first gear you come to when removing the rear case half, so it's easy to get to. Easy to replace, just need to fish out the old parts. It will just break again eventually unless you replace the synchronizers that caused the clip to break.

Make sure you use Redline MT90 or Penzoil Synchromesh when you get that transmission back, the GL5 rated lube the owner's manual recommends will eat the synchros, putting you back at square one. Been there done that.

Back