Anyone know what exhaust will give me the most performance i

Craig

I'm going to be putting new exhaust on my 4.0L YJ and was wondering what exhaust is best. I've heard from a few people Borla is the best but I don't want to spend that kind of money....they want $800 Canadian for a cat back system. I will be redoing everything on the exhaust from a new header back. Thinking about flowmaster mabye. I don't care if it's loud or quiet...I prefer louder and deeper but my main concern is performance.
I would also like to know weather or not I have to buy high heat plug wires if I install a header and if I should move any hoses or anything else.....I don't want an engine fire. Thanks.

edited by: Craig, Jun 04, 2003 - 03:56 AM[addsig]

pipe it... that's all... leave the cat, remove the muffler and replace with a pipe...either that... or use a turbo muffler and gut the cat... best flow options[addsig]

I'd like to gut it but unfortunately I have to get through emissions testing. I've also been told by my mechanic who's a good friend of mine that with a lot of vehicles, gutting the exhaust will eventually do damage to your motor. He says the motor is designed to work with a certain amount of backpressure and with some motors (I'm not saying all motors or even jeep motors) not having the backpressure there will eventually wreck the motor. This is a bigger problem with the newer motors in newer vehicles.[addsig]

It's possible that the snorkel you have may be restricting intake flow. I know someone who had to install twin snorkels on his 304 in his CJ. Is the snorkel you have rated for the 4.0, and not the little 4 bangers?[addsig]

I actually get better airflow with the snorkel, it acts like a ram air. The tube is 4" wide and since it's nowhere near the engine, I get a constant flow of colder air....it's not sucking in the air that's heated by the hot engine. I've noticed that when highway driving, I don't have to hold my foot down as far on the gas to maintain my speed as I did when I didn't have the snorkel.[addsig]

Ok, well then, about the only thing I can suggest is maybe for the exhaust, try a split header. Of course then you will have to get dual exhaust pipes, mufflers, and cats. Unless you just go with a single header, with a flowmaster cat, and muffler.[addsig]

yeah... i've experimented with many exhaust styles... a totally open exhaust is not good... it will hurt the valves... and a turbo muffler (under $20) creates the perfect bakpressure, and a quiet good sound[addsig]

I run a 4 banger with a Cat Free exaust with a Flowmaster 30 series and I do love the way it preforms and sounds. They can hear me coming in town but on the open road it is quite enough to hear whos talking to you and the tunes. Tug[addsig]

Don't get a borla cat back, I have it, and with in the first year, that pretty stainless muffler has bounced off so many rocks!
If you plan to beat on the thing, get a inexpensive muffler.

Plus in the borla system, the muffler is the only stainless piece, everything else is regular exhaust pipe steel. The exhaust tip rust in about twop months.

If it is a street jeep, borla is a alright choice, sounds OK performs very good! (prior to having all the dents!)

Johnny[addsig]

I just put the banks power cat back sytem on mine and i love it. It sounds great and has made my jeep accelerate much harder.[addsig]

how do i go by getting a flowmaster?do i take the catalic and replace it with a flowmaster and live the old muffler there too?can someone help me with this mod.

thanks[addsig]

Flowmaster is not a mod, it is a brand name of a certain type of exhaust system just like there's Borla, Gibson ect.
Sounds like you might be talking about a high flow cat. Just replace your old cat with the new high flow cat. It's as easy as that. Same goes for the muffler. You might have to get new pipes going from the cat to the muffler and muffler to tailpipe ect or trim or lengthen them to fit a different kind of cat or muffler.

edited by: Craig, Jun 06, 2003 - 02:57 AM[addsig]

you can empty yours out, or even drill a large hole through the catalyst.. free mod, good results, not quite legal[addsig]

Flowmaster is just a nosie maker, no offense to anyone but they suck in performance......Go with a Banks Power Back System.... :) [addsig]

That's what the general consensus is-- banks is pretty inexpensive as well.[addsig]

Back