anyone pull a boat with the 4.0?

jeepjeep!

Ok so I have a 14 ft fiberglass fish and ski with a 115 on it. . Been pullin it with an 84 ford f150 with the 5.0 auto. .does good but the truck has been over heating and I wanna pull it with the jeep because it 4 wheel drive the truck is only two. .some of the boat ramps around my place are crazy steep and gravel . .I don't have a receiver hitch on the jeep yet and was just wondering how hard it is to install on a 04wj and how good the engine does towing

I have an 05 LJ with an I6, I pulled a 20ft yamaha ls2000 with a 4in lift on 33s at the time with 3.73 gears with little problem. You can do it.

i wouldn't worry about pulling that. I have seen small vehicles pull large things. the worst was a 4.0 explorer pulling a nissan titan on a flatbed...not sure if his front wheels were touching the ground, but a fiberglass boat with a straight 6 would be fine.

extra-medium said:
i wouldn't worry about pulling that. I have seen small vehicles pull large things. the worst was a 4.0 explorer pulling a nissan titan on a flatbed...not sure if his front wheels were touching the ground, but a fiberglass boat with a straight 6 would be fine.

Ya I had an lj i6 I used to pull a 14 fiberglass bass boat every were even in private lake with no boat ramps :)

I pull my 18ft skeeter bass boat with 115hp outboard with my 06 LJ rubi with 4spd auto and 33in tires with stock 4:10 gears. I don't live far from the lake. I use my 98 zj 5.2 to tow it elsewhere. The I6 does great but would do better with 4:88's!

Heres what I tow and I have 33s. It works the 4.0 l but not bad weighs about 2900 lbs. Plus all the wind drag

Attachments

• image-1762553986.png
    image-1762553986.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,377
Oh yea well if I can ever get a towing hitch installed I will pull my boat. .anyone got receiver laying round?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110908_165343.png
    ForumRunner_20110908_165343.png
    890.6 KB · Views: 754

jeepjeep! said:
Oh yea well if I can ever get a towing hitch installed I will pull my boat. .anyone got receiver laying round?

Tuff break. I had one nearly new laying around with an adjustable hitch. Gave it away a while back. Sorry hoss

I have a 38' 5th wheel I moved around with my J10 before the T5 blew up. And that was just a carbed 4.2L!

I want to tow my boat, but can't get the trailer hitch onto the 2" ball receiver , because the rear tire is in the way..any suggestions jeepers?

May not need a hitch just yet trying to sell or trade my boat for four wheeler or another jeep lol. . Must have more jeeps! Anyone interested?

very doable, however...

you'll want to install a trans cooler if you don't already have one.

Back