Atlas question too low?

zipzipper

Okay, I have a question and I know it has a lot of personal opinion too it but,
Is a final Drive Ratio of 198:1 too low?
Or
Is 104:1 good enough for the average weekend wheeler?

Here is what is going on I am going to buy a Atlas 4sp. Not sure if the 10.34 is too much gears.

What would you do if you wheeled the Rubicon and other places like that!

The Jeep is an YJ with a 2.5L with 4.88 and ARB Lockers D44 rear on 35's.

if rocks and strickly rocks where wheel spin is not really needed, lower the better. If you wheel in the east/north east where rocks are covered in mud, moss, leaves, snow, ice etc.. and you need wheel spin, Higher (numerically lower) gear set would be ideal.

OR

Buy a three speed/make a three speed transfer case and have the best of both worlds.

I'd call it too low for the average weekend wheeler. Right now I'm at about 90:1 and I need just a hair more. I run 38's and wheel on the east coast. I could use 100:1, but 90:1 has been great to me. Those super low gear ratios come in handy with big tires (39+), or in really sticky rock. If you're gonna buy a new case, look at the Stak 3 speed. It has a high range, mid range, and low range. Here are the ratios for the Stak:

# 5.44:1, 3.05:1, and 1:1
# 4.33:1, 2.43:1, and 1:1
# 3.75:1, 2.05:1, and 1:1

Stak 4x4

Note, they can't be combined. But also something to think about is how long the 4 sp is. It's an Atlas, with a set of planetary gears tacked onto the back. Personally I like Stak. They started the multi gear ratio war and as soon as they hit the markey Advance was scrambling to catch up. Nothing bad at all about an Atlas though, they're bulletproof as well. Also, with either case be prepared to either put on a body lift or hack up your floor a little.

Or just buy a regular Atlas.

Or 231/300 doubler and end up as long as a factory 231.

100:1 is too low in my opinion. Unless like mentioned above all you're doing is rock-crawling. You'll be in the way on trail rides.

Or 231/300 doubler and end up as long as a factory 231.

100:1 is too low in my opinion. Unless like mentioned above all you're doing is rock-crawling. You'll be in the way on trail rides.

That's what's great about the Stak. You get a standard low, and then a low low for the technical stuff.

Thanks guy I think I need the 4sp that will give me the ratio that I have now and the exstreme low when needed!

What are you gonna do for axles? I don't think D44's will be up to that amount of torque multiplication.

10-1 is way tooo low. get the stacks and not mention how do you plan on stopping that thing. Your stock brakes are not going to hold the jeep w/ 10-1

I think you will have problems with your front driveshaft being too long and your rear too short. Also strength issues. Definitely talk to someone running one in a YJ before dropping the coin.

Back