Audio experts out there- TJ Subwoofer replacement

tiger9297

I'm totally ignorant of audio/electronics etc, so I'm needing a little help on this one. Supposedly the stock sub is a 1 ohm speaker, but the ones that you would find at Bestbuy, etc. are 4 ohm speakers. Are there no 1 ohm speakers out there? Why is this stock speaker so rare and can't be found? Can someone help with this?

You're correct - I've never heard of a straight replacement for the stock sub. If you use a 4 ohm speaker in place of the stock 1 ohm one it won't sound as good (although it may sound better than a totally blown sub).

I think the most common route is to replace the stock sub and use an external amp (mounted underneath the front seat). You could also go for a sub mounted behind the rear seat.

i was formerly a car audio installer for 18 years,before i started doing home a/v.my 2003 tj had a blown sub which sounded crappy,so i pulled the console and disassembled it to investigate.the speaker is a dvc with two ohms per coil.having taken chances in the past with such things,i had some mb quart 6.5" mids and tweeters laying around,so i said what the heck-let's try it.i was able to fit the midrange driver in there rather nicely,and i only hooked up one pair of the factory wires to it,while covering the other pair with electrical tape to prevent shorting.yes,i am using the factory amp,and it sounds great!not earth-shattering bass,but a nice bottom end,and this mod cost me nothing but an hour of my time!so you can fit a standard speaker in there,and it will work just fine!hope this helps!

Attachments

• securedownload-1.jpeg
    securedownload-1.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 999

honestly, save your self the headache. Replace the stock sub woofer and use a small external amp. you could even mount the small amp inside the center console. (but it might overheat) bad idea actually.

well,you see-some of us aren't teenagers and trying to **** off the neighbors,and only want a little bottom end!furthermore,why put crap in a convertible vehicle that just begs to be stolen?besides,i liked the challenge/discovery adventure and do-it-myself aspect of my solution to the problem!as you said-bad idea!LOL!

Back