Automatic or Manual?

RE: I Found TC

ya, get the parts from a bike (or similar) shop. Much cheaper.

It's also good if you have onboard air...with both manual and auto's.

RE: Anyone ever used leaf springs with off center mounts?

Love my man tran. Its a pain some times but I would not give it up.

What about autos don't like water? If you mean inside the transmission then you are correct. I wouldn't recommend getting water in your manual either, unless you like replacing bearings. Manuals don't like mud all over the clutch, it tends to not want to work.
It's truly preference. Some people like the engine braking from a manual, but if you use a shift kit you can do that with an auto.
Auto Pros:
No clutch leaves a foot to use the brake and gas at the same time eliminating rollback on steep hills.
Shifts quicker and smother on hill climbs... IMO.
Don't have to ride the clutch if your gear ratios suck.
Makes a rookie an All Star.
Manual Pros:
Rev it up and dump the clutch.
Engine braking.
Did I mention Rev it up and dump the clutch?
If you have a manual then you can get a brake line lock to help prevent rolling back on steep climbs. It's an electric valve that you plumb in your rear brake line. You push the brakes then turn the switch on and it locks the rear brakes. You can then take your foot off the brake. Start letting the clutch out until you feel it catch and then turn the line lock off. It's pretty simple but requires more thought.

RE: pleaseeeeee help

Sparky-Watts said:
Manual all the way for me off-road. I've driven both, but only owned manual. I had a buddy with an F-150 with an auto transmission, and it really, really, really sucked off-road. With my Jeep, I can put it in 4-lo and 1st gear, idle up an incline that's steep as a cow's face, then idle down the other side without once touching the gas or brake, and the Jeep never changes speed at all. With his auto transmission, you had to gas it up one side, then use the brakes coming down the other side...seen this with auto Jeeps, too, although not quite as bad.

I saved alot of brake wear comin down a mountain at Greenridge in 4LO and 1st gear. I was able to crawl down without braking even in my automatic XJ.

Funny thing is my buddy in a 91 YJ (4.0L, auto) had to brake often the whole way down. I'm not sure why this is the case but I asked and he said he was in 4Lo/1st. He was braking every few seconds and I was behind him riding low gear.

Can anyone answer why I could and he could not? We both have 4.0L, auto's, and 31's. His is a 3 speed and mine a 4 speed (or a 3 speed with an OD). I have 3.55 gears and I don't know what his are.

Different transmissions and probably different 1st gear ratios. Probably different axle ratios too.
I can engine brake downhill fairly well, but often use the brake as well. The 2.48 1st gear 3.8 transfer case and 4.56 axles will slow you down but will also push a lot due to the multiplied torque. It takes a lot less RPM to push it over a rock. I could reduce that by getting a Torque converter with a higher stall speed if it became a real issue

redrooster said:
What about autos don't like water?
Any Jeep with an auto and a computer. The TJ's are very prone to ingesting water, and going into limp mode every time the transmission wiring gets wet.

The manuals are sealed better, plain and simple.

Building my Jeep, the sky was the limit. I finally decided to go manual for all of the reasons mentioned in the other posts, plus two. If you happen to smash a hole in your transmission; with a manual you can still crawl out to a safe area. Also, you dont need a cooler.

RE: Divorce

Bounty__Hunter said:
redrooster said:
What about autos don't like water?
Any Jeep with an auto and a computer. The TJ's are very prone to ingesting water, and going into limp mode every time the transmission wiring gets wet.

The manuals are sealed better, plain and simple.

Now your telling me something, but it's not the transmission getting wet that's doing that. There is a crank position sensor on the back of the engine between the transmission and the engine. It's what tells the computer how many RPM the engine is running. When that signal is interrupted by mud and water, it will send the computer to limp mode. That area on a manual is better sealed by a manual bellhousing. On an auto there is an inspection cover for the flexplate that would let water in.
The automatic transmission itself is sealed however, except for a vent hole at the top just like a manual.
I'm old school and don't have that fancy crank position sensor. Therefore I can let the TH400 swim.

RE: Divorce

Autos dont last like manuals. They just dont do it. Another thing to think about. If one of your front tires off the ground on a hill and think your going to roll over, dont sweat it, put in the clutch and it will roll back onto all 4 wheels. With an auto all you can do is hit the brakes and try to find nuetral or reverse. In any situation that doesnt feel comfortable, put the clutch in and roll back into a safer postition. Thats the control I like. I dont mind the shifting. I can leave it in first gear and rev up and not worrry about it shifting into 2nd.

Sully reminded me of another reason I like the manual. The stripmine ground we wheel has a ton of tight hills, and I'm required to do many 3pt turns with the front locked. It's easy with a manual to pull part-way up the next hill and clutch, letting the jeep roll back while I turn the wheel, leaving the jeep in 1st. That'd take a lot more work with an auto. It's a small reason, but makes it a whole lot easier.

I prefer, as Sully also said, to be able to keep it wrapped tight in 1st (or whatever gear). I find I have more control for slides, fishtailing, donuts, etc. I've seen auto's burn up when you manually put them in 1st (low) gear and try these maneuvers, even those with transmission coolers. A few months ago when my son went mudding with me, it was the constant shifting from one gear to another in his auto transmission that led to both the engine and transmission overheating. I also like being able to slap into 2nd or 3rd when rounding a turn and bringing the rear end around for a nice controlled slide. I've gotten to the point that I feel comfortable enough to leave it in 2nd on sand, mud, or ice/snow, and keep the rear end hung out for up to a quarter mile, with the right feathering of the throttle and steering......God I love my JEEP!!!!!!

What Redrooster said is very true. The only way for water to get into a transmission is through the vent. What most people do wrong is they simply don't extend that line. I have all my vent lines (diff's, transmission, fuel, and all that stuff) coming up into my cab, then secured to the firewall up behind the dash...right below the windshield. And I can drive through top-of-the-engine deep water (limited by the air filter on top of the engine) all day long.

As for transmission breathers, i'm having trouble finding one on my T5...Any idea where it is? I have all my breathers up by the carb in the engine compartment, except for the transmission breather.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: BH and Sully...gen chat

It may not have a breather, some trannies don't. You can drill and add one, but it's gotta be done right or it's a waste of time and a transmission.

On a side note, some AX5's have vents, some don't. They're located in front of the shift tower. I had replaced mine and switched the shift tower so I could keep the vent.

Sully said:
Autos dont last like manuals. They just dont do it. Another thing to think about. If one of your front tires off the ground on a hill and think your going to roll over, dont sweat it, put in the clutch and it will roll back onto all 4 wheels. With an auto all you can do is hit the brakes and try to find nuetral or reverse. In any situation that doesnt feel comfortable, put the clutch in and roll back into a safer postition. Thats the control I like. I dont mind the shifting. I can leave it in first gear and rev up and not worrry about it shifting into 2nd.
That's arguable. I just sold my Suburban with Vortec 5.7 and 4L60E automatic. It had 160K onthe ticker with no problems fromthe engine or transmission. A good portion of the miles were logged with the Jeep and Trailer in tow. Do you think you could pull 160K wihtout at least putting a clutch in it? Maybe.

GaryMB said:
also if you stall on a hill or something you can start manuals back up in gear.
My auto will do that too. It's just a matter of not having a Park/neutral safety switch. There is no need to do it though because I have two feet and two pedals. No rolling back.
Back to the original statement. It's all personal preference. I can drive a manual as well as an auto in the woods. The only real preference I have is being able to lift a tire in a near roll situation and slowly creep forward without using a clutch. Without the auto you could not do that as smoothly and carefully.

RE: Help me pick a front bumper...

AMEN BROTHER...................NEXT SUBJECT...............(how about round versus square)

Re: RE: Signature pic requirements

I like square better. Of course, all I've ever had as far as a jeep is a YJ...

yjdave said:
AMEN BROTHER...................NEXT SUBJECT...............(how about round versus square)

There ya go..

(or)

Leaf springs -vs- coil springs

(or)

to remove or not to remove the rear trackbar on a YJ

(or)

one of my personal favorites...

Synthetic oil -vs- organic oil

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just want to let everyone know that it is just plain fact that a square headlighted YJ with a 5 speed, no rear trackbar, swaybar disconnects, and running on organic oil would be the correct setup for a good streetable trail Jeep. :twisted:

Now that it is settled what do you all think of privatizing social security?

Back