Automatic to standard conversion

fischstx

I am changeing my 86 cj from an automatic to a standard but I don't know what would be the best course of action for putting in a clutch pedal auto zone has this part # 744400 but I don't know if this is all I would need I already have the transmission to go into it and I have both the engine and transmission out of my jeep but am lost now any insight would help..........oh yeah I'm not much of a gear head but I love working on vehicles

I recommend you check the salvage yards. It also depends on what trans. your putting in. You'll need pedals, clutch linkage bell housing driveshaft's flywheel and a clutch kit. All of these parts will depend on your motor and trans type.

Are you swapping because the auto is blown, or would you just rather have a manual? I'd think that a nice 86 CJ with a factory auto would be worth a pretty penny - probably more than a manual.

TerryMason said:
Are you swapping because the auto is blown, or would you just rather have a manual? I'd think that a nice 86 CJ with a factory auto would be worth a pretty penny - probably more than a manual.

This is true. I have four cj's and have yet to see one with a automatic. So they must be pretty rare.

I just prefer to have the standard the auto is still in good working order. I have a complete T4 transmission I think all I need is the pedal assembly to complete it. I'm looking at getting this at autozone part number 744400

I believe you will need the crossmember as well for the standard trans?
As mentioned, I would look at salvage yards for an old cj and get everything you need off of it.
Just checked out your part and looks pretty decent. What about t-cases?? your corrent qudra trac case will not work with a standard trans and your rear dif should be off-set to the drivers side right now, you need a center dif, or double u-jointed driveshafts. even with the double ujoints your ujoint angle may not be right.

Last edited:
Where are you located? I am in Texas, and i am wanting to go the other way. I have a T-150 3 speed, and want to swap to an automatic. If you are close, we could swap everything needed to make it work for both of us.

To add to TerryMason,s coment earlier. I agree with him 100% that a 86 with auto would be worth more than a standard. 86 was the last year for the cj and autos were kind of a rare thing in any of the cj,s. They also put dana 44,s in the rear of the 86,s, yours is a auto and im wondering if maybe they put a offset 44 in yours for your auto trans. If you have a auto and offset 44, it would def be worth more than a standard. I would keep your rearend and trans if you do the swap for resale if your jeep has these parts on it.

atkins62 said:
Where are you located? I am in Texas, and i am wanting to go the other way. I have a T-150 3 speed, and want to swap to an automatic. If you are close, we could swap everything needed to make it work for both of us.

I am in San Antonio text me 813 468 0362

Back