Axle swap

jeeprookie

Well I bought a dana 30 off of a 97 grand cherokee for my 2000 tj. What things do I have to do to install this on my jeep. Im actually probably going to have a shop install it if its not too much money. Im just curious what they are going to go through. They will also have to cut the spring perches off my old axle and weld them onto the new one.

My other question is this. I am running 33's with a 3.07 ratio now. The new axle has 3.73 gears. Would i be happy with just changing my rear to 3.73 and saving money or should I bite the bullet and change them both out to the 4.11?
Thanks!

The front axle should bolt right in, minus the gear ratio change. I'd change the rear to 3.73 and call it done, for now.

Check the ZJ axleshafts, if they're CV shafts you may want to swap in the more reliable ujoint axleshafts from the TJ axle.

RE: Re: RE: Re: for robrt-stephens

if you plan to do more to it in the future or upgrade to larger tires, go the 4.11s now. 35s and 4.11s isnt bad and you can always recoop money from 4.11s if you decide to upgrade gears. if you dont plan on wheeling much or you dont think your going to be upgrading tires within two years, stay with the 3.73s. you can pick them cheap from almost anyone who has done a gear ratio change

RE: How

I do mostly daily driving and the occasional Florida muddy trails. I guess my main concern was if the 3.73 will be enough power to get the Jeep close to stock. If it is, I would rather save some money and only regear the rear rather than regearing both. The new axle does have cv boots. So I can just swap those out with the u joints from my old axle?
Thanks for all the info!

Honestly, if your only wheeling once a month, I would leave the gearing a 3.73 and not worry about the cv boots. If your gonna do more wheeling, change it all out.

Those CVs are a big step down from the Ujoints. The ZJ shafts will more than likely survive for a good while, but swapping to the much better setup is so easy......why not?

I'd roll with the 3.73s.

Back