Axles & Gears for 97 TJ????

san0696

Any help, advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. We are wanting to upgrade our axles/gears in 97 TJ 5sp, D30 front, D35 rear, 3:07 gears. Just put on 35's and 6" long arm kit. What would recommendations be for upgrading? Do drive on roads, dunes, snow, mudding, some rock stuff in the U.P.
THANKS!!!

With 35s I would go 4.56 gears if it's driven on the street a lot, or lower yet if it's mostly a trail rig.

For axles, you should probably at least upgrade the rear to a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8 if it's a medium wheeler, or bigger at both ends if you really like to beat on it.

I am guessing here but with the 5 speed and those gears you have the 2.5.L
Then go with Joedirts recomendation 4:88's.
you will find that you will regain use of your 5th gear.

I know that prices vary depending on location, but as I also live in Michigan this should be close. I picked up an 8.8 from a 1999 Ford exploder for $200 complete with brakes. It came with 4.10 gears wich worked for me, 4.0 w/automatic and 33's. I do however agree that 4.88 would be better for you. If you go to www.car-part.com you can search a nation wide data base for used parts and narrow by distance or price. Check around on the net and you'll find lots of write-ups on how to do the swap, its pretty easy. I believe 1995-1999 exploders will give you the correct width (5/8 of an inch shorter or 5/16 on each side), 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and a bonus of disk brakes.

Just my $.02
Craig

Our Jeep is actually a 4.0L, not 2.5.

Craig, thanks for the info. on the 8.8s and the years they come from, etc. Also the website you shared. Someone told me about it yesterday at a mud bog, rock ravine challenge in Hart, but I couldn't remember the name of it. Well, you had it, THANKS. I called around on the 8.8 & the price you gave is in the range. THANKS

Utah_jeepster said:
I am guessing here but with the 5 speed and those gears you have the 2.5.L
No 2.5L ever came with 3.07 gears, they're common with the 4.2L and 4.0L 5spd Jeeps. I'd recommend 4.88 since you have an OD transmission and can handle the deeper gears that are better suited to wheelin.

Back