axles & lockers & hubs, oh my!

pilgrimninja17

both axles in my 89 yj are stock, since it is so old, and rust, plus the trails i ride, i'm afraid of my axles breaking...

my jeep is my main mode of transportation so if it breaks i can't get anywhere, obviously :D

i heard something about Explorer 8.8 axles and dana 60s or 44s, what will fit in my 89 yj and be buff enough to take some real beating, what are the advantages and disadvantages?? i know i can salvage them from junk yards, thats more in my price range

i know that the Explorer 8.8 axles have disk breaks, but what about regearing and how much would that cost??

i know nothing about lockers, i just know that they even out the speed on each tire, when in 4 wheel drive or something like that, what are some decient lockers, for a decient price??

what lockers will fit on new axles?

whats the difference between lockers and hubs?

ebay lockers?

i can get the $, i'll just have to wait longer, then it's just a race against time.

also my lift, what will that change?

thanks for the all the help!!

Last edited:

The Ford 8.8 can be found in either 3.73 or 4.10 to match the stock gear ratio in your front axle. They can also be found with a limited slip from the factory, not as good as a locker but better than an open differential and better road manners than a full locker.

Sounds like you're on a budget, and from what little I can tell about you from your post I'd swap in an 8.8 and be done for a while, then consider regearing both axles to 4.88 when you have the funds.

i agree ford axle swap is usually more cost wise than going for a dana 44 or 60 plus they have plenty of after market support just like the dana's.... wish i had the funds to junk my dana 35 LoL ... i think JP magizine just done a ford 8.8 on a budget write up last month surf around their site if you cant find it i'll be glad to scan it for you has plenty of info and an idea of what your getting into

Your stock axles are likely 3.73 if you have an auto trans and likely 4.10 if a manual trans. The preferred 8.8 is a '95+ as they have disc brakes. Otherwise look for the ratio you need, and a limited slip if you want one.

i have manual trans, so 4.10, how can i tell from just looking at the 8.8 that the ratio is going to be 4.10??

limited slip?

what about the wagoneer's axles...will they fit?

Last edited:
The 8.8 should have a diff tag and will list 4 10 for the gear ratio, or 4L10 if it has a limited slip differential.

Waggy axles will work if the rear axle has a centered diff, and the front axle has a driver's side diff. Most have a tall gear ratio, like 2.72, so they'll both need regeared. Lug pattern in 6x5.5" so you'll need different wheels.

I'd go with the 8.8 and be done.

On the locker issue, Lockright or the Detroit EZ locker are the most cost effective it you still want to drive it on pavement. I had this same question not too long ago, you may want to look for that thread.

EZ lockers run between $200 and $250 per axle, if you put them in yourself. The Lock Right are about the same price, but from what I have heard they are a bit stronger and more reliable.

both of those lockers can be installed without special tools or lubricants, so they go on pretty easy.

Ive been thinking about doing the same swap on my 89 YJ 4.2 for a long time, but just never came around and did it. Let us know how much u end up paying for the 95+ 8.8 when u get it. Are u planning on getting the kit to make it fit on the YJ or just Fabricating it urself? I want to engage in this project myself, any suggestions are more than welcomed!

Nica89YJ

I actually forgot the web page but its out there, somebody else would surely tell u, not that expensive from what i remember.

From what ive read, U have to basically strip the ford 8.8 from its old mounting brackets then just weld the new mounting brackets for the YJ springs and shocks. Ive also heard about some modification on the brake lines they do not seem to wanna fit the YJ existing ones. Same bolt pattern so u can keep ur rims, new tires should not be required. U also have to find an adapter to make the driveshaft work since the 8.8 uses a different system.

I would kill for an 8.8 at a 100$!!!!!!, and ur same gear ratio, man thats hard to beat! My 89yj 4.2 has 3.73 right? is there an 8.8 with that gear ratio?

Back