baja claws?

GaryMB

I am running 32" bfg a/t's with about 80% tread and the jeep is really for offroad though i have to drive it (or trailer 4-down) about 80 miles on the highway to get to the local svra. A guy offered to trade his 31" mickey thompson baja claws with good tread for my tires...Would you reccommend them? I also got an offer to trade for 33" bfg muds with about 50% tread.

RE: goodyear mtr or what kind of tire 33x12

I'd get the BFG MT's. Although the Claws are excellent offroad tires, they just don't last long on the pavement.

the baja claws are gonna make the bfg's look stupid off road. I've been running the baja claws on and off road for about 2 years now and i won't use any other tire. They kick ass in the sand at the beach, and do the same in mudd and snow.

RE: Jeepless Again

About how many street miles are you getting out of them? the claws i'm looking at are pretty new and am wondering if they will last as long as the bfg muds w/half tread.

The claws just downright suck in the mud, at least here in the Midwest. I'd take the BFG MT's over the Claws for a lot of muddy trail running.

A good friend of mine has 35" Claws, they seem to have held up pretty well to road use. Just don't get 'em caked in mud. He's also got a Detroit in the rear and a TrueTrac in the front, and I think he was wishing he had different tires this past weekend.

RE: Front Driveshaft Spinning

I had 31
' claws and had nothing but great results with them! Never filled up with mud and never lost traction!!! Great off road tire but sucked on the road as they are just not designed for the road. tug

Finally bought a Jeep!

Tug-n-pull said:
I had 31
' claws and had nothing but great results with them! Never filled up with mud and never lost traction!!! Great off road tire but sucked on the road as they are just not designed for the road. tug

I'll vouch for that critique

Phatyaspen, a memeber of Jeepz that hasn't been on in a while used to run 33" claws and from what I saw wheelin' with him they rocked in the mud. Cleaned themselves well and all.

I do know he was disgusted at how much tread he lost after 20K miles though.

He had the bias ply, maybe there's a difference with the radials?

Still, I'd rather have the 33 BFG MT's over the 31" claws - for the size, streetability, and treadwear.

The baja claws are great tires but when in a slick mud situation like we have here in the north east, those big lugs are like rutters to move you sideways and not foward.

Also, saturday I was Offroading in the snow, and the vehicle with the claws was having the most problems getting traction.

RE: Re: Sure do miss you all!

Now that you mention it, my buddy with the claws slid sideways off the trail a lot, very little lateral control. We went wheelin this past weekend at Redbird SRA in Indiana and the conditions were very muddy and greasy.

RE: Question to moderators

Man oh Man. Just when I thought I had the tires picked out that I wanted! I was thinking Baja Claws were going to be a good ride and not so noisy that I can't here myself think. Well I don't think much anyway!

Sure does pay to read all the threads! Thanks for everyone's input on the Claws. Back to the drawing board for me.

Incase anyone interested, trying to find a decent tire 33x12.5 that works well in mud, but doesnt have all the road noise.

well i can honestly say that those tires are a pretty good all around tire.... the reason i lost so much tread was because iw as in the showing off stage and i decied to light em up every now and then... they hold up very well if u are nice to them they certainly have pleased me... but i am going to the 37" mtr ya ya i know they blow but i got them for a steal so.... i would choose the mickeys they are a good tire

I can not say it enough....SUPER SWAMPER......plus your 33 bfg's will only measure out to about 31 1/2 anyway..

How many miles do you think i could get out of 33" tsl radials? I just might have to splurge and get new rubber since i do want 33's. If so, well i'm thinking bfg's since they have the tread on the shoulder now, mt/r's (?), and of course swampers are just all-too appealing...or kumho's since they're cheap.

RE: Skid Plate and Transmission mount...

You should get about 25K or 30K out of the TSL Radials, about 50K from the BFG MT's. I don't think you'd be disappointed from a generic like the Kuhmo either.

I've got the TSL Radials in 33"x12.5", they've also got the 33"x10.5". I had the 31"x9.5" in the past and they're all decent on the road.

I used to do about 1/4 mudding, 3/4 pavement driving with my Kumho's, and I'd get close to 80,000 miles out of them, and they'd still have quite a bit of useable tread left, so I'm guessing between 60 and 80,000 miles on a set of those. I ran one set out to 100,000 miles, but they were pretty much racing slicks by then!

jeepless UPDATE

I've seen between 20-25k out of TSLs on SWB Jeeps before they are too worn to use.....but I'm hard on tires, and everyone always seems to get more out of a set than I do. My 36s on the YJ made it maybe 20k before they were completely bald. The 36s on the CJ went quick. I chewed up some 33" TSL radials in less than ten.

Re: RE: Re: RE: question about lifts

True, bias ply wear like crap. I got 30+ out of my tsl bias and almost 50 on ssr radials. You really should be asking your self what's it worth to get out of that hole? We are after all driving jeeps, not some import or luxury car. They are supposed to be loud and bouncy, plus the best thing is when your tires are shoot, you get to go buy new ones........just don't buy mtr's....suck in the mud..........................................

RE: jeepless UPDATE

Honestly, I like the howl of mudders on pavement. I'm a bit disappointed in the Mud Kings, though, they're relatively quiet. Drove just over 400 miles today, and couldn't hear them above the Kansas wind......

Back