BANG! Discovered this noise...

WobblyHeadBob

So the rattle nuisance is definitely my cat/exhaust...the BANG! however..

The sway bar link on the driver side of my '98 is FUBAR. There are two ends the "eye" (closest to the axle) and the "pin" (towards the sway bar). Where the "pin" end is there is a rubber fitting, and above that a bolt. When I bounce on my left side (thus extending the right) you can actually see the rubber piece being extended and BANG! as it goes back in place. Looks like a shoulder popping into and out of socket. These don't look too terribly difficult to replace (or, rather, upgrade!!!) but is it necessary, I mean can this be fixed? :cool: [addsig]

New bushings will do the trick, or now is a good time to go with disconects if you do any real off roading. Glad to hear you found the problems. Good luck tug[addsig]

A new bushing won't do anything for the upper 'socket' mount on a TJ swaybar. You'll have to replace it. Upgrade to disconnects, or, find a free/cheap set from another jeeper who installed disconnects. Don't buy a new stock link, not worth it. That socket going out is very common, it's a poor design.[addsig]

Thanks to you both!

Bounty Hunter, you're definately right, that socket thing really sucks...I just hope and pray that I'll be ok driving it for a bit longer. I'm taking it to a friends house tonight for a thorough inspection.

Any idea on how to tighten up the cat??? That thing doesn't look like it gives you too much to work with.[addsig]

I have tyhe factory Sways But the Bushings are pretty much Ruined. They are currently in the replacement box that I bought. If these bushings can actually be replaced you are welcome to them.[addsig]

Awesome! Let me do some more research on the bushing matter...my idea is that they can be replaced, but *scratching head* looks like a total B*&$h to do. I also have calls and e-mails out to a few places to see if the swaybar links they sell come with all necessary bushings, washers, nuts..yadda. But, thanks again for posting this up here and I'll keep you informed on what I find out if you still have the part available. :cool: [addsig]

Back