Beans or no beans in Chilli?

RE: Clutch Question

I make it both ways, although I prefer the no bean version. I get out voted by the wife and kids so I make a version of my own hot chili with a limited amount of chili beans. :(

mike

I put 4 habenaro peppers in it one time, I had to eat it all by my self the wife would NOT help. . . I don't know why :twisted:

You know, I've never made home-made chili before. After reading this, I'm definatly going to give it a try.

I've just always bouht pre-made chili and just added a few things to it here and there.

RE: St. Louis pursuit

Well, depends…

Where and when I grew up, if one ordered a restaurant hamburger with everything, the hamburger was delivered swimming in chili sauce -- no lettuce, no onion, no tomato and NO BEANS.

Same thing would happen if one ordered a hot dog with everything.

Keep in mind that this was when McDonald’s (the one an only McDonald’s) had served maybe 7 or 8 hamburgers and the Burger-King was merely a prince. :wink:

So, chili without beans is a very good condiment.

As a meal, as a fiery bowl of man-sustenance, the chili must contain beans—lots of em! I think there is a Federal law that says so.

In the higher-class greasy-spoons of my youth, chili con carne (with meat) and beans was available 24-hours a day, year round. The chili was best when at least three weeks old and made in a crusty, blackened cauldron that had crossed the Rubicon with Caesar. :lol:

Hence, the well known Latin phrase: "veni, vedi, vinci, chili"

Regards,

Diner counter-troll, Gadget

"Wish I had time for just one more bowl of chili." Alleged dying words of Kit Carson (1809-1868), Frontiers Man and Mountain Man

Chili with out beans is nothing more than hot dog sause from a cheap dinner! IMHO tug

RE: Re: RE: Wish me Luck!

Heinz makes Chili sauce. look for it on your local grocer's shelf.

Real Chili is built not bought... with beans

88 Wranges - I can PM you a very good, very simple recepie if you'd like. I think my secret safe since you are in Oregon. You do realize, of course that I will keep a copy of the PM and if it makes you a rich man I will sue :lol:

RE: Ford 8.8

I have heard that "real" chili doesnt have beans. But chili is one of those great dishes where you can throw whatever you want in it and it usually turns out good. beans, no beans, whatever I will never turn down chili.

RE: Airing Down....

Okay, let's clarify this. I'm in the SW, where most of the US chile or chili comes from, and to us Chili, as a phenomenon of that red stuff with beans (such as Wolf brand) is "TEXAS" style chile. To me, it's stew. Chili is the ingredient you put IN to stew to give it heat and flavor. (what most of you probably call "Hot peppers or Chili peppers)

If you go to Mexico, New Mexico, or most places outside of the US, if you ask for chili, you'll get hot peppers of some kind ie Jalapenos, Jabaneros, or Green Chiles. That's what I consider "Chile."

Down here in NM, we put green chile on EVERYTHING (eggs, pizza, hamburgers) And we eat Green Chile Stew, which is just about the best thing in the world. With that, I like it either with or without beans. But Texas style chili I think MUST have beans, otherwise it sucks.

If you go to a New Mexican (not mexican) restaurant, and ask for chile, they'll usually ask 'Red or Green?" (which is a red puried sauce or chopped green chiles to pour on top) I llke both on my Huevos or enchiladas.

In El Paso, if you ask for chile, they'll usually bring you Jalapenos whole to naw on with our meal.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Green chile:
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Texas chili (Stew)
image-missing.png

No matter what you call it that chili looks nasty ::shiver::

My chili can be eaten with a fork and it is not even a bit greasy. Using brisket instead of ground beef can make a world of difference ;)

Back