Belt change on 98 XJ

kendrick_d

I have what seems like a stupid question. I went to change my belt today and couldn't really see how. The Haynes manual says most serpintine belt tensioners are set up on the water pump. My clearly in not. It is not set up like my 86 XJ either. The pully for the water pump is slotted as if to move, but I didn't see any obvious way to move it, unless you need to loosen the bolt through the idler pulley itself. It's a 98 XJ 4.0 with A/C and power steering. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kendrick

On my 00 XJ, which I believe should be the same, there is a tension pulley by the power steering pulley. You loosen the bolt that it rotates on. Then there is a long bolt behind it that it is mounted to (perpendicular to its axis) that moves the pulley in and out. Once you see it its easy to understand.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought, but I was weary of loosen the bolt through the pulley. Is there any easy way to get at that bolt?

Loosen the idler pulley (15mm) and then loosen the idler pulley tensioning bolt (15mm next to valve cover, bolt goes through rear of idler pulley bracket).

Easiest way to get to the bolt is to remove the electric fan.

I didn't need to remove anything to get to it. All you have to do is get in there with a wrench and loosen it a bit. I think I used a socket wrench even. The bolt doesn't have to come out.

Back