BFG M/Ts or Wrangler MT/Rs

southtj

Anyone have a preference between these two tires? Most of the reviews that I've read favor the Goodyears (at least on tirerack.com). I am trying to decide between the two. Santa might bring me some cash this year. :D

Also, I have the factory 15 x 8 wheels with the 30 x 9.5 Wrangler GS-A tires. Can I put 31s on there with no lift?

Thanks guys and gals.

You can fit the 31" tires on the stock rims with no lift.

As for the tires, they are too very different mud terrains, and your purchase depends on what you want to do with them.

The BFG MT's are a harder rubber compound, you can get about 50K miles out of them. They do well in the mud and pretty good in most all conditions.

The MT/R's are a much softer rubber compound, you'll be lucky to get 30K out of them, I've seen one set last only 12K on a TJ. The softer compound makes them great on the rocks, super sticky, but they're only marginal in the mud from what I've seen. They don't self-clean as well as the BFG's.

The MT/R's are more expensive than the BFG, so is it worth it to pay more for a tire that will wear down quicker? Maybe to some, but not me. The MT/R hit the market when the market was hungry for a new MT tire, and it's been a fad ever since. To me, it's overpriced and overrated.

If I bought new today, I'd have to go with what I could get my money's worth out of, not what was popular. I think my choice is evident.

The flame suit's on for all you MT/R lovers, fire away :lol:

i like the MTR's but for the money i would go with the BFG's they last longer and are better all around in mud, sand and in the woods, and they last alot longer also.

Cooper has some good mud tires also. I run the Discoverer ST 31x10.50x15 on my 95 Wrangler. They are not the 100% mud tire tread but I drive on the highway a lot going back and forth to school and they hold up well. They work great off-road too. Work exceptionally well in clay-mud mix. Cooper makes this tire with a more aggressive tread pattern too. Check it out. It is slightly cheaper than the BFGs or MTRs.

The BFG have an extra ply in the sidewall and a lip that goes around the rim to help avoid curb/rock rash on your wheels.

I have heard very bad things about the BFGs. Especially in the rain. But I havnt had any experience with the two.

noskils, I've got worn BFG MT's on my YJ and I'm running a lincoln locker in the back, and it's not the least bit squirrely in the rain. Going around curves in the rain, one of my tires has to give, and it still drives fine. I think they're fine in the rain. Never heard of any issues.

I was thinkin of getting MTRs but one of the downsides I found is people were complaining that they run small. You pay for a 35" and get just over 33"... fyi

I agree with snitty. I love the noise of tires. I don't know why everyone is alway complaining about it. Sounds awesome driving by too.

Yup, I don't mind the noise either. Back in the day, I had an 81 Bronco with some Gumbo Mudders. My folks used to say that my dog could hear me coming two blocks away with the doors closed and they'd hear me one block away. They hated it, I loved it. So, the noise isn't really a factor.

As most of my driving (unfortunately) will be on road and I know they will both perform well in the mud, I'm more concerned with the performance ON road in the rain, snow, etc.

It sounds like the BFGs are the better value and I will probably lean that way. Unless I change my mind. :roll:

i've got a set of the kumho m/t's in 31x10.5x15, and they are awesome. especially price wise. they have been in mud, sand, rocks, gravel, rain, everything except snow/ice YET!!! they were a good purchase and i'm glad i saved a few bucks on tires cause i was able to get a few other things that i need. i got 5 tires from tirerack (no wheels) for $473.00. you do the math. the tire + shipping was cheaper than the BFG or the GDYR. They also sound great humming down the road.

This is typically the same question i will be asking myself when the time comes. Either those two, are TSL SS's are TRSXUS, those are sweet.

Any input on the Dunlop Mud Rovers? Gettin' my 32x11.5's put on tomorow then off to the shop for an alignment! jered

so far so good with my BFG's....haven't trail tested em yet...but hell, they've only been on a week :)

Back