Blowing switches, fuses

mareshel

I've never had electrical problems before so I'm trying to sort this out--
Was traveling in '94 Cherokee when the headlights went out, accompanied
by a burning smell (jiggling of the switch control would bring them back
temporarily). I replaced the switch, but then tail lights were out.
Took it to a shop, where they replaced the dimmer switch. Two days later, it blew a fuse (tail lights). Things have been fine for a little over
a month, but now there's no voltage going to the headlights again.
Sounds like the switch again. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

I have heard tell that this switch can be problematic, but I do not know what causes it, or how to fix it... But there are many on here that I am sure can help you more than I... Best of luck...

Hi,

I believe the '94 cherokees use the same headlamp switch as my '88 does. The dash dimmer switch and headlamp/parking lamp switch is the same unit. I'd guess either all the replacement switches that were sold to you were junk (possible), or you have an intermitten short circuit in the wiring which is drawing more current through the switch than it was designed for, and thus causing the contacts to melt.

The very first thing I would do is unplug, inspect, and re-plug both headlamp plugs, and remove all the tail/brake/parking lamps as well and check their sockets. Make sure all of these connections to the lamps are clean. Use electrical contact cleaner in the sockets if they are corroded.

Also, if you have the main fuse block under the lower dash (near the hood release and clutch or brake pedal), check it for corrosion. I've had nothing but problems with my fuse block (mainly due to clutch fluid leakage from the clutch Master Cylinder), and have had to continually clean it out and replace fuses as the corrosion builds up. It is just in a bad location.

-Nick :!:

Thanks Nick! I'm putting a short at the top of my suspect list, but I'm going to follow your advice today(my Sunday project) and check all the sockets. BTW, sorry I haven't replied sooner. Roadrunner has been out
more than on the last few days.

Back