Bodywork Questions From A Newbie

Crusader

Hello, All:

I am a new member of the Jeep fan club, having just acquired a '85 CJ7. I am primarily going to use it out at our farm as a sort of farm/hunting rig, but may drive it around town some. Mechanically it is solid, but there are a few things I want to do to the body.

First, the body has been primered, though I don't know when. I guess it may depend on when it was primered, but can I paint it without reprimering it? It may have sat outside, exposed to rain and stuff, since being primered.

Second, it has several rust spots about half-dollar size on the body below the doors--if I sand/grind that rust out and it creates a hole, I need to use that wire-type mesh stuff as a backer for Bondo, right? Is Bondo the best thing to use for that?

Third, I think I want to tear out the aftermarket carpet that is installed in the rear of the vehicle, and I am contemplating then coating the floor and interior sides with that truck bedliner stuff. Has anyone done this with satisfactory results, and is it better to use the aerosol spray cans or roll it on?

Any other advice/suggestions about the body stuff would be gratefully accepted--I am brand new to this, having never done any car stuff, but am really looking forward to tinkering with my new toy.

Thanks in advance!

I used the Herculiner roll/spray on bedliner on my CJ last summer. Bought if from the local Autozone, around 100 bucks I think.

Turned out real good actually. A few things though....

1) Preparation makes all the difference. The more time you spend taping up stuff, cleaning, scuffing, etc the better it will adhere and turn out.
2) I sprayed mine on (air compressor and spray gun. Not aersol can) and highly recommend it. But if you do make sure and get an undercoating gun (I got one from a local paint shop for about 15 bucks).
3) Wear long sleeves, pants, and good gloves. If that stuff gets on you it won't come off for a while.

ditto on the herculiner - i brushed/rolled mine on about a year ago and the only peel is where I DIDNT PREP WELL!!! the stuff is awsome when done right - prep with the scotch brite (buy extra pads), clean, repeat and when you THINK youre done... do it again... 90%of the result comes from prep, and the first coat will look like a COMPLETE waste of time... the second coat is money though... you'll like it
as for the body work... welded in patch panels are best, bondo isnt really great for rust holes - the beauty of a jeep is you can get rid of the rust, neutralize the area so it wont come back and then if you dont/cant weld or know someone who does, make a panel of diamond plate to cover it and rivit or screw it on w/cool hex head screws or the like... - hides holes and looks like body armor... (just be sure to prep the underside and neutralize the rust so it wont cause more, now hidden damage...) just a thought...

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL SPARKY. About the liners, I used the duplicolr stuff and it's worked out great so far. I've no experience with the herculiner, but I have nothing but good things to say about my duplicolor and it was quite a bit cheaper.

To fix rust holes, first cut out all the rust. I would then place another peice of 18 or 20 gauge steel behind it and tack weld it in. Grind the welds back down and then use the bondo to fill it in.

Thanks for the input, guys. One more question--do you think it is better to roll it on or to spray it on with an undercoating/paint gun? One of those guns can be had for under $20, and I wonder if it gives you a better or more even finish. Your thoughts?

My uncle has put a few bedliners in and get the gun. Easier to get the thickness you want and when it comes to corners and tight spaces the brushes just suck.

Back