Boogity, Boogity!

redrooster

I'm headed to Talladega this weekend for a little drin....I mean racing. I haven't been the last two years with the wifes pregnancy and subsequent child rendering. I'm excited about going again. I haven't seen it in person since the new asphalt was introduced last year.

Have fun! The wife and I went last year and had a blast. We got to watch the Busch race and the Cup race from the John Deere suite. Man was that cool or what. We had free food, drinks and scanners. I'm not talking burgers and dogs either. Steak, shrimp, chicken and all sorts of munchies. The best part of being in the suite was our own private bathroom. Free booze was cool too. I'm hoping that our friend can swing it again for us next year.

And ya didn't invite your best buddy Sparky? Man....Talladega has always been in my top 5 list for races to go to, just never have been able to swing it. Wave at the camera and I'll watch for ya on TV!

I've also been to Daytona, Bristol, Charlotte, Atlanta and the old N. Wilkesboro track. Talladega is definitely the biggest party track of them all. Mardi Gras beads everywhere.
Las Vegas is also on the list.

You pretty much just rounded out my top 5 there. Man, I miss them racing at North Wilkesboro.

The closest I've ever been to Talladega is that movie Talladega Nights in the movie theater. A couple of guys I work with drive down every year to the Daytona 500 for the race then come back the next day. Can't remember how long the drive is but I think I remember them saying something like 24 hrs straight. I'm thinking of going next year.

did Mikey "I'll drink to that" Waltrip give up his car yet?

Not yet, but he's in last place in the standings. He's only made one race this year. I could be wrong, but I think he's the only Toyota that hasn't made every race. So much for your theory that Team Toyota was going to use all their corporate money and overrun the sport.:roll:

Not yet, but he's in last place in the standings. He's only made one race this year. I could be wrong, but I think he's the only Toyota that hasn't made every race. So much for your theory that Team Toyota was going to use all their corporate money and overrun the sport.:roll:

just give it more time, it's only been a few months, they won't quit that easy.
I look for Mikey to step aside though with all of the stuff going on with him.

What I would really like to see someday is a split in the series to a north/south or east west division each having standings then crowning a national champion.

just give it more time, it's only been a few months, they won't quit that easy.
I look for Mikey to step aside though with all of the stuff going on with him.

What I would really like to see someday is a split in the series to a north/south or east west division each having standings then crowning a national champion.

Well, he fired one of the two dudes that were implicated in the cheating scandal at Daytona this week. I really don't think he'll step aside, neither of the Waltrip brothers (Mikey and Darrell) are quitters. They tend to actually get stronger in the wake of adversity. It took some pretty big balls to start a multi-car team with Toyota in Nextel Cup. He's got way too much invested (financially and reputationally) to just give up. I knew Toyota wouldn't be competitive the first year. I really don't expect them to be competitive for 3-5 years, honestly. Way too much of a learning curve coming in with both a brand new team and a brand new car manufacturer. I've got a ton of respect for the Waltrips, which is why I got so ticked when you started slamming Mikey for being a "turncoat". But, you must realize that you are in the minority by being so prejudiced against Toyota running in Nascar. The vast majority of race fans, race teams, and race drivers have been very open and very accepting of it. They don't look at it as a "Japan vs. America" issue, they see it as just another ingredient to better competition. That's what it's about for most of the teams and drivers, competition. They love to be challenged, pushed to their limits. Keeping things at the status quo is detrimental to the sport, the teams, the drivers, and the fans.

I kinda agree on the split divisions, but there are still too many from the SE to make it an even split either way. Then on the other hand, I don't think there are enough quality drivers to fill two divisions each week. I mean, look at the 60 or so drivers in the Nextel Cup, and then look at the ones like Kirk Schelmerdine, Regan Smith, David Ragan, etc. who are generally so slow and so reckless that they are more of a hindrance to the sport than anything. Schelmerdine has been involved in a wreck in every race he's been in for the past couple of seasons. Seriously, there are several drivers that have no business being on the track in the Nextel Cup series. They'd even be a hindrance in Busch racing the way they drive. So, if they were to split into two divisions, the amount of crappy drivers would increase, possibly having a majority in one division or the other, decreasing the competition between, and safety of, other drivers.

Well, he fired one of the two dudes that were implicated in the cheating scandal at Daytona this week. I really don't think he'll step aside, neither of the Waltrip brothers (Mikey and Darrell) are quitters. They tend to actually get stronger in the wake of adversity. It took some pretty big balls to start a multi-car team with Toyota in Nextel Cup. He's got way too much invested (financially and reputationally) to just give up. I knew Toyota wouldn't be competitive the first year. I really don't expect them to be competitive for 3-5 years, honestly. Way too much of a learning curve coming in with both a brand new team and a brand new car manufacturer. I've got a ton of respect for the Waltrips, which is why I got so ticked when you started slamming Mikey for being a "turncoat". But, you must realize that you are in the minority by being so prejudiced against Toyota running in Nascar. The vast majority of race fans, race teams, and race drivers have been very open and very accepting of it. They don't look at it as a "Japan vs. America" issue, they see it as just another ingredient to better competition. That's what it's about for most of the teams and drivers, competition. They love to be challenged, pushed to their limits. Keeping things at the status quo is detrimental to the sport, the teams, the drivers, and the fans.
Sparky,
You know how I feel about this and thousands of people feel the same way I do. I will not reply further out of respect for the person who started the thread did not intend to me and you to hi-jack it for this argument.
We will never see eye to eye on this issue, so if you don't waste you time on me, I won't waste my time on you.

lets move on..:)

No "Big One"..............what kinda restrictor plate race is that?!?!?!?!:shock: :shock:

Man, I wish they'd just let 'em race (fastest car wins, right????) without the restrictor plates. Don't know........really given up on NASCAR - the money's ruined it, just like every other "sport".

No "Big One"..............what kinda restrictor plate race is that?!?!?!?!:shock: :shock:

Man, I wish they'd just let 'em race (fastest car wins, right????) without the restrictor plates. Don't know........really given up on NASCAR - the money's ruined it, just like every other "sport".

10-4:)

Yeah, ya know, at first I liked the idea of restrictor plate racing, but anymore, it's just boring. 188 laps of cruising along 3 wide all the way around the track, and one lap of hard racing to determine a winner blows....

The race was pretty exciting overall. Gordon was the fastest all day and had the car to beat. I wasn't happy with the finish under caution, but who ever is. They at least gave it a go with the green white checker. I didn't see exactly what triggered the events on the last lap. Stewart was way ahead of the original wreck. I guess he slowed and got hit from behind. Maybe I can catch it later tonight on Speed.
Traffic was insane down there. I am seriously considering writing a letter to the track manager. We were held in line in our parking area while officials let all of the car haulers out of the infield. This took over 2 hours. We didn't get on the road until 8 p.m. I'm still PO'd. It wasn't always like that before the multitude of fencing and guard rails were put up.
You guys can argue the foreign vs domestic cars debate. It really doesn't matter to me. What you should be upset about is the Car of Tomorrow. That really takes the competition out of it. You could stamp Ferrari on the hood and it will still look like a Ford. They might as well change the name from NASCAR to IROC.

What you should be upset about is the Car of Tomorrow. That really takes the competition out of it. You could stamp Ferrari on the hood and it will still look like a Ford. They might as well change the name from NASCAR to IROC.

boy you got that one right, what a ugly POS
NASCAR should just line up about 35 cars, let the drives draw names and put the numbers on at the last minute.

Back