Bringin it in the shop

Tbates

Behave posted a couple threads with problems my xj had I have not got to start on it yet with the holidays but hoping to get it in the shop to start on it next week another issue I am having is the 4x4 is not working made a previous thread on it but I was just curious how the system works. Does it use vacuum or how do the hubs lock and just the system in general. Any help would be much help in aiding me to get these problems sorted out thanks

It's going to vary by year, what year is your xj?

The hubs do not lock. Chances are you have a vacuum disconnect on the passenger side of the axle housing. Shifting into 4wd will mechanically engage 4wd in the transfer case and activate a vacuum switch on the transfer case which in turn shifts the vacuum motor on the front axle housing, locking the 2-piece passenger side axleshaft together.

Thanks for the insight got the 4x4 going the linkage was not adjusted properly still not sure how it all works I didn't see any vacuum or anything. But got my oil pan off and my rod bearings out so making progress

Back