Broken window

noskils32

Hey all, OK, so I was kind of pissed off last night and a took a fist to my front windsheild. Unfortunately, the glass (or cheap glass like material) was not as strong as I estimated and I know have a huge spider crack in my windsheild.

So, I need everyone on jeepz to have a little brainstorm for me. I need a good excuse to tell my parents so that it will seem more accidental so they will pay for it. I know this seems very immature. Well, it is extremely immature but that is not the point. See, I am in college now and have very little money. So, there is no way that I would be able to afford paying it and I sure as hell don't want to drive around with that. I am constantly terrified that a rock will come up and hit in the same spot and just shatter the glass (or cheap glass like material).

Alright, sorry for the rant. Just think back to when you were a lying, immature teenager and give me your best excuses. Thanks!!

Also, anyone know how much it would actually be to replace the window?

Driving driving driving, oh no, rock gets kicked up by car, smack crack, there goes window...

Just off the top of my head... I'm lucky, I'd just tell my parents that I got pissed off and whaled on my Jeep's windshield, they'd probably be pretty cool about it...

Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? Choices? Questions ECT...

I thought about that but the only thing about a rock is that can't the windsheild people tell if it broke from the outside or inside?

I borrowed my dads pickup one day when I was a teenager and did the same thing. It wasn't out of anger though. He had one of those stupid visors on the truck and the bolts for it were loose, so it would rattle. No problem, bang the roof of the truck one time right under the visor and it would shutup for awhile. I went to hit the roof, and in a fit of stupidity, I caught the glass with part of my hand and cracked it pretty good. I tried to tell him that a rock came came flying off of a truck and cracked it,but he took one look at it and said that was done from the inside out.....and I was busted. He laughed about it, and that made me feel even more stupid for lying.

I'm still a lying, immature teenager at heart sometimes.....so I say: pop it from the outside with a rock one time to cover your tracks and then go begging for assistance. Your windshield is made from safety glass, it won't shatter, just crack and break up more.

RE: Cherokee or Grand Cherokee? Choices? Questions ECT...

I'm trying to think of the lies I used to tell....................never broke a windshield, though (except as part of much LARGER damage) :lol: :lol:
Check your insurance - I know in Florida, the insurance companies (or at least the State Farm policy I had) will replace your windshield, no questions asked and no negative effect on your premiums(guess they have a lot of rock problems down there - I actually used it once....young son, roof, ball, you get the picture). Here in NC, they offered "windshield replacement" as a fee-paid option. Worth lookin' into. Might ease your parent's reaction.

GM 151 Engine upgrades

How 'bout...

"Mom, Dad... I messed up and punched my windsheild last night. I lost both my temper and my common sense, now the windshield is ruined and I can't afford to replace it. Could you loan me the money to fix it? I'll pay you back ((fill in own timeframe here))"

Just a thought.

Former juvenile delinquent and current parent of four TwistedCopper

just a test

Of course, you know your parents better than we. Are they the types to over react? Have you acted in anger like this before? If this is common behavior then there's another issue.

If this is one time where you had a moment of weakness (as I did quite a bit in my younger days) then I'd just tell them the truth. My dad would respect the fact that I was honest, and elect to help out.

I did the same thing, but it wasn't a Jeep window. Happened in my Toyota. I was just as shocked as you to learn that I could so easily crack a windshield.

Good luck with whatever you do.

RE: Merry Christmas...

I would do the right thing and tell them as well, at least your dad. He should be sympathetic? I'm sure he screwed up in his younger years right? They almost expect as much out of a teenager. Lying doesnt' get you far in life, believe me. I tried that mess when I was in college too and it ended up with me being bailed out by a parent that had to drive three hours each way to do so and at the last minute. That was NOT a fun day and I'd say truth is harder but always the best option. The rest will just haunt you for years to come.

LJF

See Twisted's post, above.

Don't compound this by telling lies to your parents. :shock:

Suck it up and take the consequences.

Regards,

Gadget

Re: RE: Merry Christmas...

You should tell the truth. If you start out admitting it was stupid and you did it, its harder for parents to get too mad at you. But, when I was your age, I probably would have tried not to tell them also.

When my friend was moving his stuff from one apartment to another, he hit the brakes hard for some idiot on the road. Some of his stuff came flying forward and cracked his windshield from the inside.

Just put up with the crack until you can afford to fix it on your own.
Next time you get "angry" it will cause you to think twice and go hit something else that either you won't breatk of that won't cost money to fix

RE: Jeepz Dot Com -- Our New Theme Song

TwistedCopper said:
"Mom, Dad... I messed up and punched my windsheild last night. I lost both my temper and my common sense, now the windshield is ruined and I can't afford to replace it. Could you loan me the money to fix it? I'll pay you back ((fill in own timeframe here))"

I agree. I always found that my hard headed Itialian Pop was always dumb founded with the truth and usually helped me out. I try to do the same for my kids.

mike

Its always better to tell your parents what happened...but if you have glass coverage (like I do) all you do is roll into the windshield place and you can have it replaced in an hour with no charge. otherwise I think its like $100 or something like that.

To add to what I wrote earlier, it was not a lecture but I was serious. If your folks have been getting used to hearing BS from their kid/kids, some honesty and some show of accountability may catch their attention. Who knows, it could be the start of something nice - like trust :wink:

RE: Re: RE: aussie locker

i actually punched mine and broke it once, it was cuz the windshield wipers wouldnt wipe which i found out later was because the motor wasnt even secured to the mounting point but i knocked on it to try to free them up because i thought they were stuck and it was all over from there

RE: Re: RE: aussie locker

NiteDog said:
TwistedCopper said:

I agree. I always found that my hard headed Itialian Pop was always dumb founded with the truth and usually helped me out. I try to do the same for my kids.

mike

Yup...like TC, Nite Dog, and others have said, just suck it up and hit them with the truth. I was a pathological liar till the age of 39 (I'm 40 now), and when I got to the point where I actually told the truth to my folks about something similar, they were floored and doled out the cash to help me out. They never asked for repayment, but I repayed it anyway and that made them even more proud of me.

If the truth scares you that much (believe me, I understand that no matter how some people approach their parents in a time like this, the parents treat them like dirt), then tell them you hit a bird. I hit a pheasant with my old Datsun PU and shattered the windshield, tore off the wiper, dented the hood and roof, and subsequently caused two tires to blow out as I swerved through the ditch into a plowed field.

Good luck.

Yea, well my mom saw it and I just told them I punched it. When they asked why I got mad I just ended up yelling at them. Turns out to be a $100 deductible since the only insurance I have is theft. I'm thinking of doing the rock thing on the outside though, that was a good idea. That way the window guys won't have any idea. I'll get it taken care of in the summer when I'm back home from college. Now, for a bigger problem, it rained yesterday. And guess what, by wipers dont work. I can here the engine working but they won't budge. If you have an idea, see my post in the YJ section.

Back