Can't decide which jeep to get. Opinion please.

shinna202

I have always wanted a jeep. I have been looking at the XJ, wrangler (TJ) or the WJ's. However i have no experience with them and was wondering which one is the better one out their? Have about $10000 to play with.

The car will be used for/need:
-daily driver
-4x4
-some storage area
-be easy to maintain, not too many problems beside regular fluid changes and small things;plugs, air filter, etc...
-easy and cheap to find parts for if broke
-long lasting
-modification- lift for sure.

I know the 4.0 I6 has very good reputation as long lasting engine so that's what I'm looking for along with automatic transmission. I will not be doing rock crawling or go mudding, however I do want to lift which ever jeep I get for looks mostly.

avoid any jeep that has a 3.7 in it there trash motors go at 50000

Wrangler is the one I would choose, just because they are a direct descendant of the Willys CJ.

I only have experiance with Jeep to 1995 which was the newest Jeep I have owned. I do have kinsmen that own an 06 TJ. I thought it was a great little Jeep.

If I get a wrangler, TJ is the one i considered and its good to hear it was a good ride.
From what I heard, the xj does not have very large interior, is it true?
Also how much of lifting can each of these jeeps handle before and modification/ new parts are needed beside bigger rims and tires?

You cant go wrong with either of them.More of an personal opinion.If you want some more storage room go with the XJ.If you want the roof down and wind in your hair get the TJ.As far as engine life the I6 or the I4 are long lasting.I have a 97 TJ with a 2.5l with 150k miles and never had anything major replaced yet.As far as lift you can easily put a 2.5" lift on the TJ and run 33" tires.Add a 1" body lift and shove some 35" under it if you are using on road most of the time.I have no experience the XJ lifts.For your price range you should be able to get a nice Jeep no matter which way you decide to go.

You cant go wrong with either of them.More of an personal opinion.If you want some more storage room go with the XJ.If you want the roof down and wind in your hair get the TJ.As far as engine life the I6 or the I4 are long lasting.I have a 97 TJ with a 2.5l with 150k miles and never had anything major replaced yet.As far as lift you can easily put a 2.5" lift on the TJ and run 33" tires.Add a 1" body lift and shove some 35" under it if you are using on road most of the time.I have no experience the XJ lifts.For your price range you should be able to get a nice Jeep no matter which way you decide to go.

Thats good to hear. Now only if I can find nice jeeps with low miles and good price.

I'd pick the TJ. You cant go wrong with it's capability on and off road and with an option of having the Unlimited (long wheel base ) for the extra storage.

If it means anything to you I have both a TJ and an XJ. My son totalled the XJ yesterday and will need to buy the wife a replacement for it; that replacement WILL be another XJ!

Sounds like you basically want a "mall crawler" and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Based on your needs for a jeep I would go with a more "refined" street version such as the XJ, WJ. A TJ is NOT going to give you storage space, trust me, and its highway manners once you get a lift and larger tires on them -- they become a whole different animal. An unlimited TJ will give you 10 - 12 inches ?? more room behind the seats, big deal. I've seen one on the inside and was not impressed. In other words its not going to be enough room for you to go out of your way to get one. IMO a wrangler was built for its "offroad" capability. A TJ will do pretty good on the street if left stock but then storage goes out the window. There is a really nice older model cherokee I see in my area a lot that sits on 33's and is lifted and it looks great.

I own a 04 TJ Rubicon and a 1980 CJ-7. My TJ is lifted and sits on 33's. Its manners and ride is a lot different than it was stock but its not a daily driver anymore, its been retired as a toy and I basically only use it offroad --playing in offroad parks in my area. I do drive it to and from town (4 miles) on occasion and I have taken a 4 hour trip in it and it did alright but I definitely would not want to depend on it for a daily driver. I'm not trying to talk you out of the TJ at all but just giving you my opinion on what makes more sense based on key points given, no mud or rocks, looks only, storage, daily driver. Good luck with your choice. $10 grand should get you a very nice Jeep. Let us know what you get.8)

Last edited:
YOU DID NOT JUST CALL IT A CAR...... IMO test drive each one and which one suits you. Personally I prefer the TJ.

If I get a wrangler, TJ is the one i considered and its good to hear it was a good ride.
From what I heard, the xj does not have very large interior, is it true?
Also how much of lifting can each of these jeeps handle before and modification/ new parts are needed beside bigger rims and tires?

XJ interior is bigger than TJ. I prefer pickups myself, but my '88 MJ is getting too small for me (I have 4 Jtrucks to decide from. Wife sez I can only keep 2)

XJ interior is bigger than TJ. I prefer pickups myself, but my '88 MJ is getting too small for me (I have 4 Jtrucks to decide from. Wife sez I can only keep 2)

Thats ok, my wife has decided we will get a Wrangler after taxes. But it has to be "pretty". Evidently, my Jeep (older then her) is not pretty. It is old and beat up.

Just bought a "new" (to me) XJ today; 4 years older than the one the kid rolled 3 days ago; but 68K less miles too. '97 "Country". replacing an '01 "sport" with police package

Old and beat up is Beautiful on a Jeep!! :D

+1. lol.
Anyways one thing I heard people talk about is jeeps already lifted might have been beat by the previous owner so I was told to stay away from them.

+1. lol.
Anyways one thing I heard people talk about is jeeps already lifted might have been beat by the previous owner so I was told to stay away from them.

I do not agree with that.There is a lot of mall crawlers around.Also I have a stock suspension on my TJ and I have wheeled a lot.

lifted or not, check out the vehicle. My wife and I just looked at a CJ7 not far from me. Very good looking jeep. My wife was all goo goo cause it was the right color, had soft seats, and she could plug her MP3 player in the deck. I grabbed my creeper and slid under. New leafs, real clean underneath excepy some mud in a few places. knocked the mudd off and the frame was cracked. Had a poor weld job with no reinforcement. For the work I would have had to do, I turned it down. I also hate when the oil has just been changed. Screams they may be hiding something when you combine everything I seen. We will continue the search.

Back